TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTT > Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Miscellaneous Insert random jibba-jabba here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
Mike

Mike is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Life Updates

Neil inspired me in Stinsonians new thread... What's new in your life, or what's up these days with you?

For me?
I'm a senior in College, majoring in Political Science, with a double minor in Theology and History. I've wanted go to to Law School after college for the last three years, but unfortunately, that isn't looking too good ... because Suffolk, my desired school, is too expensive and I wouldn't be able to work, to afford an apartment in/around Boston ... or tuition. So I've put that on hold, unfortunately... It's really all I want to do. I wouldn't mind getting my STD in THeology (STD is similar to a doctorate in another study, just for theology), but I'm not theologically sound enough to get it, really... not well read enough. So that's a bummer.

I'm working as the Web Developer for Assumption College, my school, and my boss will be leaving some time next year, hopefully ... and so I hope to take his job as the head web developer. This would give me a decent mid-five's income, health and dental insurrance, which is what I really need. Additionally, if you work Full time for Assumption, they give you graduate classes for free ... and while they don't offer anything that I'm really interested in, I could get my MBA for free, which would be very nice and help bolster my resume for Law School... which would be great.

In my personal life ... I'm still dating my girlfriend, Brianne, of almost three years... and I'm actually starting to consider proposing to her ... It kinda makes me laugh as I say it because I wouldn't have imagined myself in this situation. It's cool

In cool news, EASports is giving me an all expenses paid trip to Vancouver on the 13th and 14th of December to preview MVP '06 College Baseball, their new baseball game set to come out next year. I'll be leaving Boston at like 4:30 AM, getting to Vancouver at about 12:00 PM, going to the EA Vancouver studios, interview them and play the game, go to the hotel, go back the next day, then fly out at like 8:00 PM on the 14th ... A lot of travelling over two days, but I'm excited about it.

I'm not reading any books right now, but I've read four in the last month, that I all mostly suggest:
1) THe Coffee Trader - Fiction, about a Jew in Amsterdam in the 1600s who is trying to corner the new coffee market for Europe, in the world's first commodoties trade. It's a very exciting, well written and excellent book ... and who'da thunk that the market could be that good?

2) An Empire of Wealth - Nonfiction, about the American empire of currency and commodity. It's the best history book I've ever read, has a lot of great anecdotal 'story tellings' of interesting, important, yet oft-overlooked parts of American history. It recounts, in detail, the growth of the American political order to where it has become the most economically powerful in the world, and throughout history.

3) The New American Militarism - Nonfiction, a recount of the Neoconservative movement and it's effects on the American military, since Vietnam. It's interesting ... not all accurate, but pretty good. Rather Anti-American, very Anti-neoconservative, but ... still good.

4) Anansi Boys - Fiction, Neil Gaiman's new book ... one that I don't particularly like, but still alright. If you've read American Gods, The Sandman, Neverwhere... or even Good Omens, you'll be disapointed with this one... but it'd be alright if it were written by anybody but Neil Gaiman.

As for what I'm doing RIGHT NOW...
Workig on three papers. A 12 - 15 page paper for one of my theology classes, doing a Biblical exegesis on like 6 lines from MAtthews gospel Sucks. Another 15 page paper for my Poli Sci seminar... using both New American Militarism and an Empire of Wealth, which is a decent thing... and then some shitty 6 page paper on The Road to Wigan Pier by Orwell ... it's a shitty paper and shitty topic.

Well that's my little life update.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote