View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Mr Biglesworth

Mr Biglesworth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mr Biglesworth
Swahili: no, haha, everyone's disappointed to learn there are no clicks in swahili. !pilay

Rosetta Stone: My initial impression of RS in the french edition was that it wasn't all that useful and so i didn't really give it a fair chance and moved on to other systems. I came back to it with their swahili edition and I've been finding it much more valuable (not because they're different versions... RS is the same in every language). It completely teaches by getting you to learn by trial and error and by deductive thinking, and you keep on reapplying the knowledge that you've already learnt. With swahili I'm finding it's a good way to pick up new vocabulary. However, I'd say it's almost essential to supplement RS with some kind of traditional grammar study, even if it's just a cheap textbook. It will save you a lot of time to just get the rules down easily.
My recommendation (especially since TTT members are known to get their own discounts on electronic media) is to get a few sources for learning and stick with them, concentrating on whichever one you're most engaged with. For instance, get rosetta stone (is it russian you're interested in? spanish?), an audio course like pimsleur or michel thomas, and go out and purchase a book for the grammar. Then just stick with it!
Mr Biglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote