View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
F a C e

F a C e is on a distinguished road
Well, you have a dual-core processor which helps. I have the game set to 1152x864, HDR ON, AF 16x, image settings in Nvidia control panel set to high-quality, Vsync ON (this reportedly slows the game down quite a bit, but I can't cope with screen tearing), 84.25 ForceWare (have since changed to XG's 84.22 v2 after I beat the game). All fade distances are set mid way through bar, everything else high except shadows.. only shadows I have on are tree canopy shadows. FPS inside of dungeons was typically great (ie. 60+), but the game starts to croak around Oblivion gates and other points on the world map. Also, I am running most of these tweaks that up the eye candy at the expense of some performance:

"These tweaks are straight from a Oblivion developer:

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk. Back up your Oblivion.ini first. Please do not request official troubleshooting support with any changes to your .ini file.

Here are some tweaks I play with:

uGridDistantTreeRange=15

Raise to increase area in which LOD tree billboards are drawn - looks quite nice doubled if your comp can take it.

uGridDistantCount=25

Raise to increase the number of LOD tree billboards drawn - looks quite nice doubled if your comp can take it.

uGridsToLoad=5

Raise to increase the X/Y dimension of the number of high detail exterior cells loaded - should be an odd number, 3 or greater. This is quite a performance hit with anything above 5. If there are 25 cells loaded at a time with a value of 5, then there are 49 cells loaded with a value of 7 and so on. I would not recommend going above 7 or 9, but terrain looks nicer if your comp can take it.
uExterior Cell Buffer=100 (default 36)

Grids must be an odd number. It can be higher, 11+ for e.g., but this starts to cause odd effects like water disappearing and hovering mountains. Fun. The Cell

Buffer will raise to match, as grids influences the minimum number of cells loaded. Loading times increase, but it's well worth it.

There are a few side effects to the grids tweak: firstly, water reflections sometimes go astray where landmass meets water, but it's not too common and easily

ignored. Secondly, and more importantly, more memory is needed for the cells. Fortunately this is easily fixed with the following tweak, which also happens to be one

of the key performance boosters:

iPreloadSizeLimit=104857600 (default 2621440)

The value is in bytes. If you have a 1G or less machine and this causes troubles, set it to 52428800.

bAllowScreenShot=0

Set to 1 to allow the PrintScreen key to take screenshots.

bFull Screen=1

0 = windowed, 1 = fullscreen

iSize W=640
iSize H=480

Current screen resolution.

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=0
bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=0
bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=0
bUseWaterReflectionsActors=0

Set these to 1 to allow these kinds of objects to reflect in water.

fDlgFocus=2.1000

Raise to pull camera back some in dialogue - I use a value of 4 or so.

bForceFullLOD=0

A value of 1 forces foreground trees to always render at the highest detail - I haven't found this to be a huge performance hit for the visual benefit, your mileage may very.

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=2

Raise to allow more unique grass types per terrain texture - 4 should be enough to let you see everything possible.

More blood
The essence of every fight, and the marks of your hard won victories, blood is limited to 10 decals and disappears after 10 seconds. Don't they know that blood

stains?

fDecalLifetime=1200.0000 (default 10)
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=500 (default 10)

Sets 20 mins and 500 decals. Decals use up bugger all memory, so this is a simple and effective tweak.
Note: if you enter the Video settings in game, fDecalLifetime will be reset to 10, so don't go in there!

Skip Intro
SIntroSequence=

moves the status bar down ... this is good.

CODE
[Interface]
iSafeZoneX=20
iSafeZoneY=20
iSafeZoneXWide=20
iSafeZoneYWide=20

to

CODE
[Interface]
iSafeZoneX=5
iSafeZoneY=5
iSafeZoneXWide=5