View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #72
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
from what i used of pacman, i really liked it. but asking for arch to do things automagically is like asking debian to speed up their development process, it's just not how it gets done in that distro.

so, thank the fuck god for live CDs. last night i tried to get my second monitor working really quick so i could try to play a DVD on it. well, after i restarted, X wouldn't launch... it would load up all the boot up stuff like normal, and then when it would get to where it should switch to the logon screen, it just stuck at the bootspash image with a 0 progress bar and no info at the bottom. i tried commenting out some stuff in xorg.conf myself, but i wasn't sure exactly what the second monitor settings added and if they added stuff anywhere else. anyways, booted up the live CD, mounted my kubuntu partition, copied xorg.conf from the live CD to my hard drive, rebooted, and like magic i was right back to where i was before i messed around with it.

i think i am gonna work on a back up script in my spare time that will be something like 'backup -Xfmh ~ /my/target/location' where X determines if it should back up xorg.conf, f for fstab, m for the modprobe info (i have to blacklist my internal soundcard), and h for home directory. i might make it more complex because i don't always want all of the hidden .whatever folders copied. well, i guess it's good to do regardless, but the most important is my mail folder.