TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTTechnology > Computers
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computers Ask about your system/software issues here, or discuss the latest in the field.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Mr Biglesworth

Mr Biglesworth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mr Biglesworth
Access/Database help

So, I've got a MS Access databse with 1 table in it with rows of information on brochures. I'm setting up a public computer, and I need to have some sort of interface so people can search by keyword and pull up the rows that have the word in it.
How can I make this sort of interface? I don't know anything about Access, so the only think I've thought of so far was to export it as a Word file then have people use the 'Find' function in Word, but that's really really sloppy. If I could export the Access database into an SQL dump I'd be able to program an interface in PHP, but I don't know how to export it that way.
Anyone!?
Mr Biglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
thecreeper
Administrator

thecreeper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thecreeper
you can make forms pretty easy with Access, but it all depends what you want to do with them.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Mr Biglesworth

By form do you mean.. program? interface?
The table is already made... i need an interface so someone can type in a keyword, or maybe select a category name, and it will pull up all the info on the entries that has that keyword or is in that category. Will a form do that? How do I make one? Would you kiss me under the moonlight on our first date Zach?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #4
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
if you could find yourself a copy of visual studio, it wouldn't be much to slap together a simple vb program to query the access database..

i've never used access before, but a tutorial that i found on google tells me that "A form is nothing more than a graphical representation of a table. You can add, update, delete records in your table by using a form." (and a form is something you create in access). judging by that description, i'm not sure that a form would suit your needs? access also has reporting features, though.. that page i found on google is http://www.bcschools.net/staff/AccessHelp.htm but i'm not sure how useful it would be.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Mr Biglesworth

Hell I haven't used Visual Basic since the days of keyboading. I can't program but I can still ::flex::!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Torre82
Stormy wants to do Hex

Torre82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Find out what format you need it in and convert it using MS Office (or portion thereof) or a freeware app off C|Net.

There are probably direct conversion tools for SQL, oracle, MS, etc.. but I wouldnt trust anything except manual, entry by entry carry-over. Then again.. I dont know the scope of the project, here.

Best of luck, regardless. Thank G_d I dont program. Ech.

Just because I act like a rapist doesnt mean I AM a rapist.
Torre82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Cid

Cid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Cid Send a message via Yahoo to Cid
Export it as a DBF or even CSV and import that into MySQL. Simple. If you're not sure how to do that, get MySQL front and import it using that. I'm almost sure you can save as dbf or csv in access. Then you could do whatever you want with the MySQL DB.

Or you could just make the forms in Access. Like creepy said, it's not tough. And yeah, they're like normal run of the mill front-end forms for your db. If you need it to be an executable file for distribution, use VB or do the mysql thing and make a web based app. You can use the mysql db in VB as well I believe, or Download Delphi and do it in Pascal. Or learn RUBY and do the REAL way.

Either way man, let me know if you need help. This is something I actually know a thing or two about
Old 04-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
Cid

Oh I missed the part about the public computer thing. I assume you want this to be a thing where someone can sit down, open a program and search the DB.

If I were asked to do this right now, I would put it in MySQL and write a small delphi app. But since you don't have delphi or vb, I'd go with the php or perl app and just make a link to it on the desktop.

I think, either way, you want to put in mysql (or whatever sql server you've got) and go from there.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Mike

Mike is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biglesworth
So, I've got a MS Access databse with 1 table in it with rows of information on brochures. I'm setting up a public computer, and I need to have some sort of interface so people can search by keyword and pull up the rows that have the word in it.
How can I make this sort of interface? I don't know anything about Access, so the only think I've thought of so far was to export it as a Word file then have people use the 'Find' function in Word, but that's really really sloppy. If I could export the Access database into an SQL dump I'd be able to program an interface in PHP, but I don't know how to export it that way.
Anyone!?
There's a program I use called "AccesstoMySQL" that will create a dump file for you. It costs like $20 or something for a fully functioning program, but because I have it, I'll convert the file for you if you want to send it to me.

The Office tools for converting to a MysQL dump file suck... because they're not really made for MySQL, but MSSQL. You can put it into Excel and then export the file as an SQL file, but you'll have to manually go through and put in some commands that differ from different SQL flavors.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Cid

I guess I don't see how this is any easier than exporting it as a csv or dbf and importing that to MySQL. That's just...simple. And free.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
testtubebaby

testtubebaby is on a distinguished road
testtubebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #12
Cid

Shut up, it is!