TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTT > Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous Insert random jibba-jabba here.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
Jesse
Administrator

Jesse has disabled reputation
TTT Get Fit challenge!

Some of you may remember that I used to be about, 40lbs heavier than I am now. I got my weight down to 169 at one point, but that kind of weight was impossible to maintain without any exercise at all. In the couple years that have passed since, I've managed to put on about 15-20lbs, some of which was muscle.

I've been meaning to cut some weight, and get into better shape, but, alas, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

But then I came across this:
http://www.johnstonefitness.com/all/front/m.php

And then I was filled with all the motivation I needed. Here's this guy, in worse shape than I am, and within months he had great results. But of course, he followed very strict diet and exercise routines to get where he is. Routines which I've been following for 2 weeks now. I've completely changed my diet, and my eating habits to those that are ideal for fat loss. And for the last 2 weeks, I have been doing intense cardio workout every day for at least 30 minutes. Most days I end up doing 45 minutes to an hour. Burning at least 400-500 calories per day. In just the 11 of the 14 days I was able to get in my workout, I managed to drop about 5lbs.

Now that I'm through the 2 week hump, tomorrow begins the real campaign. I've spent most of this weekend reading up on ideal fat loss methods, and tomorrow I'm putting those into action.

And of course, the before pictures (which aren't really before pictures, as I've been doing intense cardio for 2 weeks). These pictures will hopefully have greatly contrasted images in the next few months.
Weight as of today, 187lbs. Expect another set of pictures every Sunday..hopefully.

So who's with me? Has anybody been meaning to quit smoking, eat healthier, shed a few pounds, anything at all? If so, then do it here, with me, in this thread! You can do it. It's possible. You can't want it to happen, you have to MAKE it happen. Taking and posting pictures is a great way to track progress. And it's very encouraging once you start noticing a difference in weekly pictures.

So please, feel free to join. If anybody posts anything that isn't of a motivational nature, I'll delete the post. Nothing but encouragement here for me, and others that decide to join please. Even light jokes aren't accepted in this thread.

Edit: Here's this weeks pics. I think there's a pretty noticeable different when comparing the frontal pics side to side. It's progress.

Last edited by Jesse : 04-24-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Even light jokes aren't accepted in this thread.
and what about heavy jokes?

i'm slowly starting to get myself into better shape again, after a winter-time of hibernation. i ride my bike alot.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Subsy

Subsy is on a distinguished road
Heavy jokes

Jesse, I would LOVE to join you in this endeavor. I've been really meaning to drop weight. Like, a lot of weight. I have a membership to a gym but I RARELY go because I'm so busy working two jobs and school, so when I DO have time off I'm exhausted and can't bring myself to work out. I only eat usually twice a day, but it's still unhealthy crap all the time.

It's SO hard to change ways. Plus, I don't have a digital camera to track my progress anymore :|

If only I wasn't so tired when I get home every day, things MIGHT be different.
Subsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
thecreeper
Administrator

thecreeper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thecreeper
i'm currently on a stricter workout since Feb 20...so I'm kinda in the same boat.

i have been trying to do 100 pushups/situps every day (even days i cant go to the gym) and i upped my treadmill running from 1-1.5 miles to 3 miles every time (in addition to lifting). this, over the course of nearly two months, has resulted in a loss of 13 pounds. I was 216 when i started (about 6 pounds heavier than my norm i was at), and I'm at 203 now. the last week or so hasnt been as dedicated as i like, but i really want to be under 200 before the end of the month.

no one gets to see my me topless though.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Liss
hex can see my boobs

Liss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Liss
didn't we try to do this a long time ago? creeper? yea?

dude, im in. i'm training for a marathon and have no support, so it would be nice to track progress on here.
Liss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Optimus Funk

Optimus Funk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Optimus Funk
I don't have a digital camera, but I started running when the weather got nice, then it fucked itself up again, and got too cold even with underarmor(?). I also dont like people to see my dirty underbelly, unless they deserve it! God Damn Avril is hot, so yeah basically Jesse you have balls I might post and give your a regiment of my workout schedule in hopes of sticking to it tighter, but I doubts it!

"MY LOVE FOR YOU IS LIKE A TRUCK, BERSERKER!,
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME MAKING FUCK?, BERSERKER!"
Optimus Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #7
Optimus Funk

Also Liss, I am a long distance runner not crazy level i.e. crazy greekz, but I do enjoy 5.1ks all the time, I am on my Hospital's Orthopedic running team. Although I did just take a shot a JD with a friend!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 AM   #8
Jesse
Administrator

Ryan, I know what you mean when you say it's so hard to change ways. But, it can be done. My diet for most of my life consisted mainly of junk foods. I never ate ANYTHING healthy. That is, however, until just a few weeks ago.

Cutting fat isn't as difficult as most people think it is. The _BEST_ and _ONLY_ good way to cut fat, is _GOOD DIET_. If you're going to the gym and lifting weights, or doing cardio, DO NOT starve yourself. You will just end up spinning your wheels. While the weight lifting, or running will increase your metabolism, the lack of calorie intake will do nothing but slow down your metabolism. And then your body will begin to burn muscle, rather than fat, because you haven't supplied sufficient calories to burn. So then it turns to muscle, because your body thinks that you're starving. And if you're trying to cut fat, losing muscle is not ideal. Muscle burns more calories than fat. Building muscle will increase your metabolism, and then the more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn.

The trick is to figure out how many calories you should be eating per day. Visit this site, do a bit of reading, and use the calculators they provide. You will then find out how many calories you should be eating while you're trying to cut fat.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Another big part of the trick is knowing how and what to eat. I assume we all know what foods are good for us, and which ones are not. Forget about low carbs and ab machines. Your body needs good carbs, good fat, calories, and protein and EXERCISE if you're trying to cut fat.

Rather than eating 3 meals per day, split your meals into 2, and eat 5 or 6 small meals per day. HEALTHY meals, mind you. When you wake up, have a small healthy breakfast. A few hours later, make half a sandwich and an apple. A bit later, maybe some lean chicken breast, etc, etc. You get the idea. 6 small healthy meals a day will keep your body going, and the constant food supply will keep your body in fat burning mode. DRINK WATER, and lots of it. Water helps to increase metabolism. The cells in your body need to be hydrated to perform at their best. I dry to drink at least 100oz per day. And, if you can, drink ICE COLD water. Your body will have to heat up the water before it can digest it, and this extra 'processing' will burn at least 100 calories per day.

It's possible, and you can do it. You just gotta make a plan. Start by planning your 5 or 6 small meals. Plan when you will eat, and what you will eat. AND STICK TO IT. Make no excuses for straying from your plan. It might take a couple weeks to adjust, but that's half of the battle. Once your lifestyle changes, your body will change. You don't necessary have to take pictures. Just keep track of your weight. Measure your biceps, belly, thighs, and calves to monitor any growth or shrinking.

Here's a brief overview of my schedule:
(I try to swim wherever possible)

Monday:
30 minutes on elliptical treadmill. Level 4 resistance. 75-80 RPM, 470 calories burned.
5-10 minutes of rowing machine, to keep my heart going, and work out my arms/back/shoulders.
Then various leg work outs.

Tuesday:
Same cardio routine.
And maybe some weight lifting, depending on schedule.

Wednesday:
Same cardio routine.
Arms.
Chest.
Back.
Abs.

Thursday:
Same cardio routine.
Assorted weights that I may not have been able to do this week.

Friday:
Same cardio routine.
Assorted weights.

And of course, some days I mix it up. Some days I'll do 10 minutes of bike before I get started on the elliptical. All depends on which machines are available.

My meals are pretty much the same every day, all week. My food schedule still needs some tuning, as other days I wake up later than others.

Meal one:
2 bowls of Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with soy milk. This nets me about 300 calories.

Meal two:
Tuna or ham sandwich on oval wheat bread. I ballpark this at about 300 more calories.

Meal three:
Nutrigrain bar and strawberry sauce. 200 calories.

Meal four:
Another tuna/ham sandwich on oval wheat bread. 300 more calories.

Meal five: More Kashi Heart to Heart with soy milk. 300 more calories.

And then I might have a late night snack (but not too late. It's not a good idea to eat if you're going to bed within 3 or 4 hours). This can be any number of healthy things lying around my closet. I need to find a healthier substitute for the Nutrigrain bars. Those have more sugar than I'd rather be eating. Somehow I overlooked that when I was reading the nutritional facts before I bought them.

I need to increase my calorie intake, because with my work out, I should be consuming about 2,300 to 2,500 calories per day. But I eat enough to keep my body burning the fat, and not muscle.

There. Now you can see how I've setup my diet and work out routine. If you want to cut fat, I recommend a good diet, meal plan, and some sort of exercise. You need patience and motivation.

And if you doubt any of the validity of anything I posted, feel free to do some googling. I've spent a lot of time researching fat loss, and what I posted above is agreed on by lots of weight loss sites and bodybuilders. Some of it may be inaccurate, as I posted it from memory. But I'm pretty sure it's quite accurate for the most part. There may be some minute details I left out, but, the biggest guidelines are there.

Best of luck to you guys.

Edit: I figured I should include a picture of my bicep. The quality kinda sucks, cause it's dark in here. But I've been noticing an increase of definition in my arms, neck and shoulders in the last 2 weeks. I'm definitely seeing a lot less body fat.

Tomorrow when there's better lighting, I will get some better pictures of my shoulders.

Last edited by Jesse : 04-17-2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
Liss
hex can see my boobs

Liss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Liss
yea, nutrigrain bars are tricky--theyre advertised as healthy but theyre packed with sugar. Better to go with some pretzels, yogurt, piece of fruit, or now they make those 100 calorie packs that are totally awesome. That diet plan you have there is good Jesse, but you need more vegetables and fruit.

My own diet varies drastically day to day because of my fucked up schedule (some days I work at 5:45 am, and don't make it home until after 11 because of class, meetings, rehearsals, yoga, running, tnt work, etc). I can post my dailies though. Today: 1. A piece of toast and a nonfat latte 2. A turkey sandwich with tomato, lettuce, mustard and baked lays (this is one of those on campus meals I often get stuck with), unsweetened iced tea 3. a banana 4. antipasto salad and a blue moon. I drink a lot of water throughout the day, and way too much caffeine and alcohol.

I hate dieting, and I mostly end up hoping that exercise will make up for it. I eat pretty healthy without thinking about it, which is lucky because when I intentionally diet, all I do is think about what I WANT to eat.

I hurt my knee really badly last saturday on my 14 mile run so I haven't been able to do any of my hour runs since (I'm supposed to be running 6 days a week) but I did back to back yoga classes today (2 hours) and spent just 25 minutes on the elliptical.
Liss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:10 AM   #10
Optimus Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liss
I hurt my knee really badly last saturday
I wish I had a picture of my knee, it really is starting to look bad...I wiped it with povidone iodine today(two days too late) but still I thought it would help. I can barely wear jeans. I have to wear suit pants all the time, the softer fabric doesn't irritate my huge fucking infection as much.

Though I hurt my knee in much different ways then a 14 mile run......

Old 04-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Jesse
Administrator

I don't like pretty much any vegetables right now. I'm working on eating more foods as well, but, I'd just like to focus on one thing at a time.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
squirrels2nuts

squirrels2nuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to squirrels2nuts Send a message via AIM to squirrels2nuts
im taking the get fat challenge. it's fuckin easy.
squirrels2nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
heX

heX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to heX
yeah i think ill hop on. ive never dieted in my life. i dont currently have a gym membership ill have to renew my old one. ive been putting alot of consideration into boxing. so i feel i should probably go put some muscle on before trying it.

itll be probably a month before i get a gym membership. any suggestions on what i should be doing till then? i just recently went grocery shopping and blew the food budget on not so healthy foods. pastas/sauces and alot meats, since im borderline carnivore. hamburger/pork lone/chicken breast/steak, but mostly hamburger. im thinking this isnt the worst thing in the world if i just cut back on how much i eat.

id like to begin losing weight before i even get a gym membership, to keep me modivated into wanting to go to the gym. would it be worth it to hit sit-ups, and push ups every day? im sure itd be benificial to some degree but would i see results?

(jesse i am now treating you as my trainer, so dont steer me wrong)

oh and i have a BMR of 2612.4
heX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
Jesse
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heX
yeah i think ill hop on. ive never dieted in my life. i dont currently have a gym membership ill have to renew my old one. ive been putting alot of consideration into boxing. so i feel i should probably go put some muscle on before trying it.

itll be probably a month before i get a gym membership. any suggestions on what i should be doing till then? i just recently went grocery shopping and blew the food budget on not so healthy foods. pastas/sauces and alot meats, since im borderline carnivore. hamburger/pork lone/chicken breast/steak, but mostly hamburger. im thinking this isnt the worst thing in the world if i just cut back on how much i eat.
Small healthy portions of meat aren't too bad. Lots of protein in meat. If you want to eat meat, try to buy lean cuts. Lean chicken breast is a good choice. Stay away from anything but whole wheat breads or biscuits. Wheat bread provide good carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heX
id like to begin losing weight before i even get a gym membership, to keep me modivated into wanting to go to the gym. would it be worth it to hit sit-ups, and push ups every day? im sure itd be benificial to some degree but would i see results?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to do sit ups and push ups. Those will work and build muscles, which will help your body burn calories. But if you're looking to lose belly fat, you may not notice a lot of fat loss, as there's really no way to target where your body burns fat. Drink LOTS of cold water. Fill up a gallon jug everyday and keep it refrigerated, and drink as much of that as you can every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heX
(jesse i am now treating you as my trainer, so dont steer me wrong)

oh and i have a BMR of 2612.4
Heh, I'll try not to. I'm no expert on this stuff. I can only paraphrase what I've read on other forums.

I suggest checking out www.johnstonefitness.com and perhaps signing up for the forums, and reading a lot of the stickied threads under the fat loss section. They're very informative. And they've got a great community of people that are ready to help answer questions from n00bs. I post there with questions, or when I'm seeking advice.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Cid

Cid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Cid Send a message via Yahoo to Cid
Honestly man, way to fuckin' go. In the last 4-5 months I've been trying to, slowly, get myself into the habit of eating healthy and doing some form of exercise every day. I've dropped, maybe, 5-10 pounds (I don't weigh myself). I'm really only concerned about being happy with how I look and feel, not how much I weigh or how much I bench. I just want to be happy when I take my shirt off, and I want to be healthy and not be tired and worn down all the time. It's been working.

I have more energy than I remember having in quite a long time, and I look better than I ever have. I do like 200 crunches every other day, and as many push-ups as I can. I have a small gym on-site at my apartment complex, which is nice but I need to use it more.

Eating healthy is actually cheaper than eating shit too! Buying fresh fruits and vegetables is so much cheaper than buying processed and packaged crap. It's just better all around.

Keep it up man!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Jesse
Administrator

I wish I had some shirtless pictures of me from highschool. Some people don't even recognize me. I went from about 230lbs down to 169, and since I've gotten back up to about 192 or so. I decided to get my weight back under control before I weighed 230lbs again.

Just got back from my gym session. 30 mins on the elliptical. Worked my arms, chest, shoulders, and back. Now I gotta shower and get ready to get some dinner.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
so jesse.. do you not have any planned exercises for saturdays and sundays? seems kinda unbalanced to have a routine five days straight and then have two off days -- but i'm not in a position to know any better. i've always thought it was best to workout three or four days a week and mix in rest days in between. of course it would probably still be a good idea to do some cardio (run a few km or swim some laps or ride a bike) on the lighter days.

also.. where the fruits and vegetables at in yer meals? :P
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
Jesse
Administrator

I usually go home on Saturdays and Sundays, so I don't really have access to a gym unless I pay $5 per visit to go to a local gym (which I did last week).

As for fruits and veggies, I don't really like vegetables very much. But when I go to the dining commons at my school, I try to eat an apple or an orange or something.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
Stormy
i'm horny for hex

Stormy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
I usually go home on Saturdays and Sundays, so I don't really have access to a gym unless I pay $5 per visit to go to a local gym (which I did last week).

As for fruits and veggies, I don't really like vegetables very much. But when I go to the dining commons at my school, I try to eat an apple or an orange or something.
Try berries and legumes.
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #20
thecreeper
Administrator

thecreeper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thecreeper
i recommend raisins and dried cranberries as well.

also, jesse, let's armwrestle at testfest.