TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTT > Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Miscellaneous Insert random jibba-jabba here.

Old 12-07-2004, 03:38 AM   #1
heX

heX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to heX
CGI help

ok so i was setting up a guest book for my sis's site www.saintamourmusic.com and im having trouble what is "The system location " heres the context..
------------------------------------------------
This is the Perl script that actually writes new entries to files and returns the entry to the user. This file will need to be placed in the cgi-bin of your server and chmoded to a+rx. There are a few things that need to be changed in this file:

Set Variables

$guestbookurl
The url address of your guestbook.html file.

$guestbookreal
The system location of your guestbook.html file.

$guestlog
The system location of your guestlog.html file.

$cgiurl
The url portion of the address to the guestbook.pl file The file guestbook.pl needs to be placed in your server's cgi-bin and chmoded read/execute for users of your httpd. (chmod a+rx)
------------------------------------------------

i have no prob with setting the urls but i dont know what it wants with the system location. i tried just typing in the file name and tried public files/guestbook.html. but those are obviously not right and i still cant get the guestbook to work. so if any one can help itd be much appreciated.
i got the guest book at http://www.scriptarchive.com/guestbook.html

since i cant get that to work i have a hacked free guestbook right now set up the prob is it randomly has pop-up ads so if no one can help with the other part do you know of a script that will kill pop-ups on your page?
heX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 AM   #2
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
it may be looking for an absolute path to the "guestbook.pl" file on the server, so it would have to start at the root. log in through ftp, and get the path to that file starting all the way from the '/'. it will probably be kind of long, like "/home/youraccount/public/guestbook.pl".

(though the "home" directory may not be in there; i'm just making up a path as an example. just get the full path to the file)
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:30 AM   #3
heX

heX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to heX
what would "home" represent. for example if i was setting this up at thetesttube.com where would home be?
heX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
"home" was just any directory name i could think of. i don't know what the directory structure is like at ttt, but in my example you wouldn't be able to access the "home" directory through the browser, because it is above the "public" directory.

keep in mind that this is not a URL; it's a file path on the server computer. and when you navigate to the directory that that file is in when you log on with an ftp program, you should get a read-out of that path somewhere. or you could telnet in and type in the "pwd" command from the direct that the file is in.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote