TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTT > Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous Insert random jibba-jabba here.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #41
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liss
Raub, I've gotten jewelry as gifts, and I never asked for it. And none of my boyfriends ever held it over my head...like, "I gave you that bracelet, Bitch, you're stuck with me." It doesn't work that way.
I'm not dumb, I know it doesn't explicitly work that way. But how many chicks would say yes to a proposal if there were no ring, and how many dudes would have the balls to do so?

Or maybe it's not even that deep, it's just something that people do, and I don't see any reason for it. It's not any different than flashing your tail feathers or sparring with another buck. ::shrugs::
Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #42
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
And none of my boyfriends ever held it over my head...like, "I gave you that bracelet, Bitch, you're stuck with me."
that's probably where they went wrong
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:41 PM   #43
malta

malta is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to malta
"But how many chicks would say yes to a proposal if there were no ring"

I would get a ring just because it would seem like a fun thing to do. Does there have to be a reason for everything? I don't feel like I'd have to get her a ring, and if she'd only say yes if I got her one she probably isn't the person I want marry.
malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 AM   #44
Cid

Cid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Cid Send a message via Yahoo to Cid
See, if you feel like it's something you HAVE to do...then you're doing it for the wrong reason. I guess until you actually WANT to do something nice for someone, you just couldn't understand.

And yet, I agree that it's a stupid tradtion. Just because the diamond companies have such a high markup, thus making it cost WAY too much to make someone happy. A ring should never cost a few grand...it's just stupid.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #45
heX

heX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to heX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
See, if you feel like it's something you HAVE to do...then you're doing it for the wrong reason. I guess until you actually WANT to do something nice for someone, you just couldn't understand.

And yet, I agree that it's a stupid tradtion. Just because the diamond companies have such a high markup, thus making it cost WAY too much to make someone happy. A ring should never cost a few grand...it's just stupid.
100% agree
heX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #46
Cid

I 100% love you. What-say you, me and that hottie in your pictures get it ON!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #47
Jesse
Administrator

Jesse has disabled reputation
I understand that people like to buy jewelry for eachother and what not, but I don't get the importance that a ring holds in a relationship. She could be wearing the engagement/wedding ring, and be fucking a different dude every night, and you'd never know.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #48
raublekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
You're right, I've never done anything nice for anyone. And if I did, it certainly wasn't because I wanted to.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #49
Cid

Then I guess I just can't see how you can get so bent out of shape about Hex giving his girlfriend a ring. I mean, he wanted to make her happy...because he clearly loves her. Is that so wrong? You just act like you've been burned by the oposite sex a few too many times, and you're just a touch bitter.

I mean, there's a chance that him buying a ring was for nothing else than to make her happy. Maybe he isn't trying to impress you or anyone else. Maybe he was just happy to have the chance to make her so happy. But of course not, he's flashing tail feathers. No no, she made him do it. Better still, he did it to bribe her into staying with him, after all...he probably doesn't trust her, and she more than likely doesn't trust him. That must be it.

Are you sure you bought something for someone out of desire, Raub? Or were you flashing tail feathers? God damn that's a dumb analogy. No offense.

Maybe I'm misreading things.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #50
Mr Biglesworth

Mr Biglesworth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mr Biglesworth
yeah dude his post was in swahilii
Mr Biglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #51
raublekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
Then I guess I just can't see how you can get so bent out of shape about Hex giving his girlfriend a ring. I mean, he wanted to make her happy...because he clearly loves her. Is that so wrong? You just act like you've been burned by the oposite sex a few too many times, and you're just a touch bitter.

I mean, there's a chance that him buying a ring was for nothing else than to make her happy. Maybe he isn't trying to impress you or anyone else. Maybe he was just happy to have the chance to make her so happy. But of course not, he's flashing tail feathers. No no, she made him do it. Better still, he did it to bribe her into staying with him, after all...he probably doesn't trust her, and she more than likely doesn't trust him. That must be it.

Are you sure you bought something for someone out of desire, Raub? Or were you flashing tail feathers? God damn that's a dumb analogy. No offense.

Maybe I'm misreading things.
I never once said Hex's ring-purchase was because of any of those things. I was speaking in general terms as an observation, which I still agree with.

I have no problems with making people happy, I just don't understand, or like, the need for material crap in a relationship. Isn't the gift of love enough? Why the need to plop some unnamed amount of money on something like a ring when you're already in love? It's not the ring itself that bothers me, it's that we throw around "I love you" so much that we need something like a ring to actually give it meaning. The act of love should bring lots of happiness by itself, shouldn't it?

And for the record, I have never been burned by the opposite sex.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #52
Mr Biglesworth

ah c'mon, we've all been burned. That's because women are inherently evil. For the record.

Personally I think that gifts can be really sweet, when you surprise someone you love with something meaningful. I bought one of my girlfriends a book that looked interesting when I knew she was bored out of her mind in her hometown, then hid it in her closet before I left. Another time I bought a little figurine of a faery and wrote a poem about her faery-self.
What I've seen is a dynamic where one partner will constantly buy stuff for the other, and they don't really appreciate it, but it continues because it seems like an easy way to validate the relationship. Obviously material things are immaterial to what a relationship is really about, and money can't buy you love.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #53
Liss
hex can see my boobs

Liss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Liss
How often have you been involved with the opposite sex to have never been burned?

Heh, jk

For the record, I'VE never gotten an actual ring. I'm a-ok with it, because if any of the guys I've been involved with in the past had given me one, I'd be like, "What fool?" I've never been in love. I'm not a lovey dovey anyway and I know that rings prove nothing (look at my parents!) but someday I'll probably consider marriage and appreciate the gesture of a ring. Just tangible love, baby, yea.
Liss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #54
raublekick

I've only ever had one girlfriend, it was a pretty standard 9th grade relationship and our breakup was mutual and uneventful. Other than that there was only one other girl that I had one pseudo-date with, and one girl who I really "loved" (i.e. it was more than just "I like you").

In the case of the girlfriend, I never bought her a thing, and she never did for me, and all was good.

I have nothing against gifts or nice acts. I think things like Bigles did, and what Merk's boyfriend did in her thread, are really awesome things to do. But if you're going to spend $X.XX on a ring, why couldn't you spend $X.XX on a huge pile of elephant shit? Ok, don't answer that...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #55
Liss
hex can see my boobs

Liss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Liss
LMAO

So new topic: What's the nicest thing any significant other has done for you or given to you, and vice versa?
Liss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #56
johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by raublekick
Isn't the gift of love enough?
sounds like a pretty shitty gift! it's like asking for peace on earth for christmas when you could get a new toy instead..
Old 12-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #57
Mr Biglesworth

Quote:
So new topic: What's the nicest thing any significant other has done for you or given to you, and vice versa?
You mean like.. going down on eachother?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #58
heX

heX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to heX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biglesworth
You mean like.. going down on eachother?
oh yeah. this is what im talking about.

new topic: what does your weiner look like?
heX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #59
Mr Biglesworth

Hex hun you've gotta get into my heart before i let you into my pants...
Old 12-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #60
johnny

it probably wouldn't even take a ring

edit: 666th post; satan!?