TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTT > Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Miscellaneous Insert random jibba-jabba here.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
thecreeper
Administrator

thecreeper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thecreeper
MAGFest 4: Anyone want to go?

Rauble and I are once again going to MAGFest, the Music and Games Fest, this year. Located in Charlottesville, VA and taking place from Friday, January 13 - Sunday January 15, 2006, this convention of sorts will have tons of gaming, alcohol and live music.

http://magfest.org/

here is what all is happening.

---

SATURDAY NIGHT CONCERT

Always a blast, always different.

In alpha order:
MINIBOSSES with JENOVA PROJECT, SHAWN PHASE, SMASH BROTHERS,
SPRITE SLOWDOWN (CHROMELODEON's videogame department), WAVE THEORY

THE FRIDAY NIGHT JAM SESSION

We had too much music. Now you get two nights of it!

In alpha order:
NESKIMOS, PARASPRINTER, POWERGLOVE, SEARCH SNAKE, THIS PLACE IS HAUNTED, more to come....

TOURNAMENTS

Think you've got what it takes to compete? Try your hand at a smattering number of games against people that think they're the best, and find out who really is! The most popular tournament requests include:

# Capcom Vs. SNK 2
# Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
# Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania, Para Para Paradise
# Guilty Gear XX, XX#R
# Halo, Halo:CE, Halo2
# Super Smash Brothers Melee, Classic
# Tekken Tag, 4, 5
# Mario Kart 64, Double Dash
# Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
# Trogdor
# Magical Drop, Puzzle Fighter, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Tetris Attack
# Street Figher: Third Strike
# Soul Calibur 2, 3 - no system specific characters
# F-Zero GX
# Warcraft 3
# Half Life: CounterStrike
# Unreal Tournament 2003, 2004
# Doom3, Legacy Doom

# Time Tourney: Ninja Gaiden (NES), Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)

MAGFest tries to have tournaments in every game that is asked for available, as long as we don't get overloaded with requests. Be sure to send in your request on our contact page or bring it up in the forums if you don't see a game you want.

Signups for each tournament will be held in the Videogame room during the festival, so be sure to stop by the staff table there and sign up for the games you want to play - if there aren't enough signups for a game, one tournament may be cancelled to make room for another.

24 HOUR GAME ROOM

Naturally, we need a place to hold the Tournaments, so how about a huge gameroom? And how many times have you gone to a convention and the game room closed early, or opened late? Well, not at MAGFest! Our game room is open each year for the entire fest! Enjoy your favorite games on dozens of systems around the clock! If you don't see the game you want to play, request it!

# Console Gaming
# Arcade machines
# GBA/Portables Corner
# Tabletop/Card Gaming

MAGFest encourages everyone to bring their TVs, Consoles, Arcade machines. We give your equipment a tag when it comes in so we know it belongs to you, and keep an eye on it to make sure it's taken care of properly while it's in our game room. If you have an arcade machine, please contact the convention chair for possible help with transit.

24 HOUR LAN ROOM

Just like our game room, our LAN center is open 24 hours! The separate LAN area this year will provide extra juice from the hotel so the power won't go out. This will also be in an area that provides gamers with more gaming privacy, less noise (headphones required this year), and more room for us to expand if necessary. Our LAN will have a few of our own machines, but we highly recommend bringing a PC with the games you want to play already installed on it so you have a seat! We'll be tagging in the LAN center as well, and PCs can be set up for public or private use at MAGFest.

DISCUSSIONS and PANELS

Want to know where videogame artists and musicians get their inspiration? Looking to find out how programmers make those video games tick? Got a question for a videogame remixer? Dying for some intelligent videogame talk with folks that write game articles? Chat up a storm with our special guests at the discussions and get a better idea of what's going on behind the scenes. Speaking of which....

MUSICIAN > VIRT

You can bet Jake Kaufman (aka Virt) will be back again to talk about how he writes, remixes, and gets inspiration (read: goes to Taco Bell) to do real music for videogames in the industry.

ARTIST > PARADOX LOST

Artistry, gamery, and eggplantery will all be present along with Paradox Lost. Come talk to Dave Lister at his table and meet him at his panel!

JOURNALISTS > VIRTUAL FOOLS

These four guys take humorous (and critical) looks at the wide world of entertainment. As self proclaimed "video game scholars," they attempt to assess video games in aesthetic, academic, cultural and societal terms.

AUTHOR > ROBERT ALDRICH

Let Robert Aldrich tell you how he teaches the sky with his latest work. His Videogame- and Anime-inspired projects paint a vivid, imaginative picture for any gamer.

24 HOUR VIDEO ROOM

With the exception of projector breaks, we'll be running as many videos as we can find! Relive your childhood or discover new series that you didn't know you were missing! Old school and new stuff alike! Don't worry, we'll have Captain N episodes again! And tons more game commercials from our friends at GameAds!

Also, you'll be able to meet and interact with:

FILMMAKERS > X-STRIKE STUDIOS

Creators of the wonderful movies River City Rumble and Silent Horror, X-Strike will have DVDs of each, as well as another awesome production, Project: Snake. If you can't guess what this is about, you'll just have to go watch the trailers, now, won't you?

AUCTION

Looking for a rare, well cared for system? Got an arcade machine to sell? Just want to check out what people have to offer? Drop in on the MAGFest auction for a taste of what kind of goodies people want to sell, or let us know at the beginning of the convention if you have something you would like auctioned and we'll get you the details.

COSTUME CONTEST

Costumes at all of MAGFest are encouraged. Come to the convention dressed as your favorite videogame character and see about winning our costume contest, as well as showing off all your costume-making skills to the rest of the crowd!

---

in addition, i probably won't be very sober most of the weekend. i know at least a few people had a passing interest, so hopefully i will see some of you there. registration is 30-35 bucks, and there's a few rooms around that you might be able to crash in, otherwise you might have to shell out a little additional for some floor space.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
testtubebaby

testtubebaby is on a distinguished road
if i can crash in your room, guilt free, i might still consider it... i'm fairly certain that i'd have the scratch and time available to go.

as long as there were other TTTers (other than creep and raub) going as well, since i'd need familiar faces (er, screennames) to hang around with when you are off cavorting with your shizz friends.
testtubebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Mr Biglesworth

Mr Biglesworth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mr Biglesworth
HELL NO, I WON'T GO!
sorry, that was probably excessive
Mr Biglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
GT2000
Playing God @ Your Xpense

GT2000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to GT2000
Well..that's only like...maybe 3 hours from home, but, I work Sundays, and yeah, wouldn't really work out..
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
thecreeper
Administrator

thecreeper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thecreeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by testtubebaby
if i can crash in your room, guilt free, i might still consider it... i'm fairly certain that i'd have the scratch and time available to go.

as long as there were other TTTers (other than creep and raub) going as well, since i'd need familiar faces (er, screennames) to hang around with when you are off cavorting with your shizz friends.
well, i need to pay a small room fee, (20-30 bucks) so if you can split it with me or just give me a few bucks at least, there shouldn't be a problem. also, i don't think you need to worry about needing other TTTers there. for one thing, there's a ton of stuff to do and everyone is pretty friendly, and secondly everyone pretty much hangs out in one gigantic mass of people, so it all works out. (and its not like you haven't posted on theshizz board anyway so many people would recognize the name anyway)