TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > EnTTTertainment > A/V
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A/V A/V...audio and video...music and movies.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:55 AM   #1
Jesse
Administrator

Jesse has disabled reputation
Batman Begins.

Saw it today. Really good movie, and the setup for the sequel at the end was awesome.

The beginning was a bit slow, but, kind of in a good way. It explains in pretty good detail how Batman became what he is, and why, which is nice for the folks that didn't read the comic books, such as myself.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
Didn't they already explain it in the one movie? Granted it wasn't in depth but it was enough to know what was going on. And when are movies going to stop setting up for a sequal?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
testtubebaby

testtubebaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raublekick
And when are movies going to stop setting up for a sequal?
the day hollywood stops making money off of movies and they become as unprofitable as art galleries.
testtubebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
GT2000
Playing God @ Your Xpense

GT2000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to GT2000
Went out lastnight, was thinkin' about seeing this movie, then my girl saw Madagascar was showing so we saw that instead, pretty good though, have to catch this movie next time.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
testtubebaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2000
Went out lastnight, was thinkin' about seeing this movie, then my girl saw Madagascar was showing so we saw that instead, pretty good though, have to catch this movie next time.
boo hiss!

my girlfriend wants to see batman begins a lot... i guess we'll see it this weekend, probably. we have an IMAX about five minutes from our appartment, and i'm tempted to see it there, but i dunno... would it be worth paying double (dunno how much it is for IMAX, really... never been to one that was not at NASA) the price of a normal movie house?

[edit] well, i found out how much IMAX is for students: $6.50! that's like the same price that AMC charges... needless to say i was stoked. unfortunatly, when i called to see about showtimes for batman begins, they informed me that they wouldn't be getting it until august! what a pile of crap...

Last edited by testtubebaby : 06-16-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
GT2000

Yeah, IMax usually doesn't do movies when they first come out (not to my knowledge at least).

But yeah, if we don't go to the theater to see it I'll just download it or something and watch it later on. I really didn't even plan on going to the movies, we just drove by the place and I was like, let's catch a movie, I pointed out Batman, and then she pointed out Madagascar, me, "ok!" ::buys tickets::
Old 06-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
thecreeper
Administrator

thecreeper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thecreeper
i hated madagascar. seemed rushed and felt like a half a movie. too many lame jokes.

on the other hand, batman begins will be seen this week. and i believe it will be good.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #8
sharkz

sharkz is an unknown quantity at this point
so you thought madagascar was short too creeper?
the main thing it had going for it in my book was that it was the first movie i didn't hate dave schwimmer in

i plan on seeing batman begins sometime

also, i want to see the new willy wonka in imax
sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
thecreeper
Administrator

it was long enough, it just took too long to tell too short of a story. the script must have been about 15 pages. and i really hated chris rock and ben stiller in it. there was zero chemistry there.

at least the penguins were funny.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #10
GT2000

"Should we tell them the boat's out of gas?"

"Just wave and smile boys."

Yeah, the penguins were good.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:33 AM   #11
thecreeper
Administrator

just got back from a showing of batman begins awhile ago. it was some excellent cinema. DC obviously knew they needed a good film here and really delivered. everything turned out good or better than i thought. even the scarecrow was great.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #12
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
so rate this with the other batmans, because i my eyes they all went downhill after the first. the first is a good movie in my eyes, good actors who portray the characters well, and it's not jokey. batman returns is kinda the same but i don't like it quite as much. after that it just turns into a not-so-serious attempt at cashing in.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:31 AM   #13
thecreeper
Administrator

1. batman begins
2. batman

those are the only real batman movies.

the reason i like the new batman better is that christopher nolan captured a city that was believable in its corruption. it wasn't like tim burton's over the top Gotham that was a caricature with its violence and villains, Gotham in this was a real city that was being torn apart by mob bosses and crime lords. Money was the motivating factor for why the town was shit, and Batman believed that the town could be saved from its greed. he wanted justice, and that's what made Christian Bale an awesome Batman. He was scary, he was able to play the asshole millionaire and the fearless caped crusader with no problem. and we finally get a movie about Bruce Wayne, not a villain centric story. The last 4 batmans were always about the villains. This movie was about why bruce wayne is who he is, and they believeably explain how he get the batcave, the car, and all the gadgets. gary oldman plays a great lt. gordon and even katie holmes plays a pretty good role. in addition, you get great car chases, hard-hitting fight scenes, a great scarecrow, and some great Ra's Al Ghoul scenes.

Last edited by thecreeper : 06-19-2005 at 10:40 AM.
thecreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #14
testtubebaby

it's a good story, and the direction and acting are great, but no one can live up to the awesomeness of keaton.

when my girlfriend and i were talking about it, i said that while the older batman movies felt more comicbooky (you know... over the top acting and obviously fabricated sets), the new one feels more like a bid for mainstream cinema... so, take it as you like. i'm still partial to the keaton/nicholson/burton vision, but this one was definatly second place (no, i didn't like returns that much)
Old 06-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #15
thecreeper
Administrator

i like burton, i just never preferred his vision of batman. i never thought it was a good match, and keaton was a good bruce wayne but not an intimidating batman.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #16
Jeno

Jeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jeno Send a message via MSN to Jeno
Ho hum...old thread, but oh well. I absolutely loved this movie. One of the few movies I've ever went to see for a second time. Just a brilliant movie all around. I do hope they make a sequal to it and hope they don't go with some famous bloke (unless he's capable of pulling it off) for the role of Joker.

And the Scarecrow...best villain in a Batman movie, ever! And Cillian Murphy (who played Crane/Scarecrow)...yummy, Very handsome.

And Liam Neeson is just awesome, as he is in every movie. One of the best actors around. I mean really...anybody who can pull off a remotely decent job under George Lucas' direction has to be brilliant.

Glad they went with a restart and re-imaging of the Batman series isntead of adding on to the original series...god those movies sucked.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #17
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeno
Glad they went with a restart and re-imaging of the Batman series isntead of adding on to the original series...god those movies sucked.
the first batman movie was pretty good. it was no batman: the movie (with adam west, the noble porpoise, etc.), but it was alright anyways.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote