TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTTechnology > Computers
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Computers Ask about your system/software issues here, or discuss the latest in the field.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
i got an ipod mini and it is frustrating me

so yesterday i got me an ipod mini, because they're neat, and cds are kind of annoying (though they appear to still work better than an ipod?). anyways, i installed the ipod and itunes bullshit on my machine (xp professional sp2) and i was importing some cds into my itunes library--everything's working fine. but when i update my ipod, it tends to not work. usually it'll transfer a few songs--maybe 3 to 5 out of 10 or 15 songs--and then the updating process freezes up and i get an error dialog that reads "attempting to copy to the disk 'IPOD' failed. an unknown error occurred (-36)." so i googled some junk and tried updating my ipod's software and restoring it. that didn't solve the problem either. :/

so today i brought the ipod back to the apple store and had them test it out. they restored it using the ipod updater (on a mac) and then used itunes to update it, and it worked just fine. the computer transferred all 110 songs they had in their itunes library without a problem. also, they used my firewire cable, cause i brought it in with me. so i'm pretty much forced to assume that the problem is not with my ipod mini, or the cable.

so it seems like i have a couple options;
- try buying a new firewire card (or a usb 2 card) for my computer, and hope that it resolves the problem. i have no reason to assume my firewire card is shitty, because i've never used it before i got this ipod, but maybe there's some kind of obscure problem with my firewire card? i checked online for updated drivers and any possible windows xp patches for firewire cards, but everything seems to be up-to-date
- use my slower normal usb ports to transfer music to my ipod, and buy one of those power adapters so i can charge the ipod with an electrical outlet. (because i heard that if it's not a usb 2 card, then it can't charge the ipod. can somebody confirm that..?)

the way i see it, i'm going to have to spend around $50 so i don't have to put up with this stupid error anymore, unless one of you guys has a better solution, so what should i do?

(fyi, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both itunes and ipod software, and i've restored the ipod a couple times. this random error that i get when updating the ipod keeps on popping up anyways.. the only time it actually worked right was at that stupid apple store)
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
thecreeper
Administrator

thecreeper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thecreeper
if you know someone else that has xp and itunes, try it out on that before you buy anything. i would isolate the problem before dropping more money.

that sucks though, i would be pissed if i just bought something for that kinda dough and it didn't work right.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
johnny

it really frustrates me because it's so random. earlier today when i restored the ipod the first time, and tried to update it with my itunes library, it managed to get 35 of almost 200 songs transferred before it fucked up. i could have sworn that it was fixed that time! >:0

that's a good suggestion though, creeper. maybe i'll try using it with a computer in one of the labs at the ol' college.. i think i can setup the itunes shit on there. (i graduated back in april, but most of my accounts there continue to work for some reason)
Old 07-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
heX

heX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to heX
i have win2000 with itunes and updater with a usb cable (no usb 2) it transfers just fine and charges... so buy a new card. if you buy from best buy you can return it within x days if you want for any reason.
heX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
johnny

i'm thinking about getting a usb 2 card from best buy tomorrow, actually. i just need to check if i have a free pci slot. (s'pose i could take the firewire card out if i had to.. doesn't seem to be doing me much good)

can you return a part at best buy even if you've installed it in your machine? because if this ipod business still won't straighten out, then it's probably not my hardware's fault, and i won't really want to keep that usb 2 card, heh.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
johnny

installed usb 2 card, restored ipod using usb, and itunes managed to update my ipod without fail. there was only 24 songs in the itunes library, but still.. i think we might be in business here!

stupid apple and their overpriced junk.. (very nifty overpriced junk, mind you)
Old 07-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
heX

good good. to answer your question about the return policy ill answer it the same as i do with every customer who asks me. "im warehouse."... but to be more kind yeah you can still return it, just double check with cust. service before you buy (in this case too late and doesnt matter) to make sure they have the same store policy.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
GT2000
Playing God @ Your Xpense

GT2000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to GT2000
After all the horror stories of iPods, I just never plan on touching one, personal preference I guess, but, works good for ya? I need to find all the stuff for my nomad jukebox and reload all my songs on it...rather update it, I think it's a 40gb, forget, and I still have under 40gb of songs, so I can just load my entire library on it. Maybe get a cd player fm transmitter so I can throw it in the car for when XM bores me.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #9
sharkz

sharkz is an unknown quantity at this point
my iPod hasn't been recognized by my PC for a few weeks now... it was able to see my friend's pod... same model/size... gonna try a restore/format from my dad's computer.
sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
heX

try using your friends ipod cable to connect
Old 07-14-2005, 05:36 PM   #11
sharkz

sharkz is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't think it's the cable though because he used my cable when he came over.
sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
johnny

maybe your ipod has the scurvy
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
heX

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny
maybe your ipod has the scurvy

sounds about right. id be willing to bet matt's life on it.