TheTestTube.com  

Go Back   TheTestTube.com > TTT > Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Miscellaneous Insert random jibba-jabba here.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #21
Plain Old Jane
i hate vagina

Plain Old Jane can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Plain Old Jane
yea... I was less then awake when I wrote... ALL that....

whatever, neitzches book... not as exciting as I thought... but on aristotles benefit, I enjoyed his "Nicomachean Ethics"... although it was a littl longwinded.

btw, did anyone notice I said that stormy heralded the end of the world?
Old 04-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #22
malta

malta is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to malta
*pops*

*locks*
malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #23
Mike

Mike is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Old Jane
yea... I was less then awake when I wrote... ALL that....

whatever, neitzches book... not as exciting as I thought... but on aristotles benefit, I enjoyed his "Nicomachean Ethics"... although it was a littl longwinded.

btw, did anyone notice I said that stormy heralded the end of the world?
Yeah, I never cared for Aristotle's Ethics, but the Metaphysics is great... I'd suggest picking up Jonathan Lear's "Aristotle: THe Desire to Understand", it's a companion to the Metaphysics that is written so that it isn't necessary to have the books and it explains everything very well.

Neitzche has written a lot of books ... the most famous being the Parable of the Madman/Gay Science (the God is Dead stuff)... I'm reading the Birth and Tragedy now, and while it's kind of boring at times (talks a lot about ... art), the central message is good. I think people go into reading Nietzche expecting this guy who's going to rip apart people who believe in God and bolster Atheism--because that's how people always seem to refer to him as--and then the modern Atheists/Secularists and neo-paganist/cult types are the ones who get the most brutal assault. Yay!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #24
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
yeah that's what I love about Nietzche. a lot of people think Nietzsche is on their side, but he isn't on anyones side. he just lays out some guidlines to becoming a better person. i wouldn't say he attacks atheists more, though. Will to Power (the concept moreso than the book) is pretty heavily anti-Christian.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #25
Mike

Mike is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by raublekick
yeah that's what I love about Nietzche. a lot of people think Nietzsche is on their side, but he isn't on anyones side. he just lays out some guidlines to becoming a better person. i wouldn't say he attacks atheists more, though. Will to Power (the concept moreso than the book) is pretty heavily anti-Christian.
Yeah, I agree. But the Last Man is the guy who claims to reject Christianity, God, and Organized religion (like so many do) and then lives his life in almost complete accordance to those guidelines and rules that they supposedly disdain. And in the Birth of Tragedy, the Doric force that holds back the Dionysiac, Apollinian morality, which is criticized for being naive (like claims that modern religious sexual morality is naive or close-minded), have more propensity for being respected than the claims that you must embrace the Dionysiac... which, you can't do because it would destroy you... Those claims make people look like a fraud.

I like Fred and my Sigmund.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #26
Plain Old Jane
i hate vagina

Plain Old Jane can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Plain Old Jane
Quote:
Originally Posted by raublekick
I fucking LOVED the will to power...

it made me like... think of things I didnt think I could think before... until I thought them. We must all do shrooms together sometime, el oh el