View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
Plain Old Jane
i hate vagina

Plain Old Jane can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Plain Old Jane
Also, this came as a surprise to me this afternoon while watching NJN, but this is perhaps the first in a long line of amplifed gay image in the media, albeit not mainstream.

According to Larry Kramer, a well known gay rights activist and author, there is no gay communitee. there's groups that hook up resources to homeless folk but theres no large group that fights for rights, it has always been other liberal groups doing the fighting, the ACLU, Amnesty International, and the Human Rights commision. But no gay groups as large do the fighting; and I'm inclined to agree that there is no gay comunitee, just a gay population with crudely built social circles and programs, as there is evidence to support such an opinion.

Until now that is, it turns out relatively recently, that a business person whose name I forgot, summoned 200 of the worlds richest gay and lesbian people to Aspen for a commision on how to deal with gay issues and how to use their wealth to promote them. For example, the plague of AIDS that has consumed africa and is turning into an epidemic in america. Yes, there is 6 billion dollars sitting in coffers set aside for african relief, but theres a lot of strings attached to that money, like I heard "assured abstinance" and "guarenteed condom usage" which isnt likely to happen as a lot of Africa is Catholic and the pope says "NO CONDOMS! DURK!" (Funny Hat magazine, spring 2005) er... more or less...

Anyway, as a result in the next few years, we may see widespread activism for AIDS treatments and cures, support of gay youth, etc...

like Larry Kramer said, "If you have the ability to save a life, and dont..."