View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 08:25 AM   #5
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
I'd actually like to argue against the Beatles' creativity. They're an amazing band, truly, but they took a lot of influence from other musicians at the time.

The Beatles were pretty conservative when it came to the boundaries of pop/rock music. They stuck to conventional measures, tempos, etc... But to refute that, oddball music wasn't really "invented" yet, so they stuck with what was around.

Paul McCartney kinda held the band back in that aspect. He was the sensible pop guy, Lennon was the creative hippie, and Harrison was the rock and roll dude. And then there was Ringo, he was cool. They kept each other in balance, but that's what made them work.

Sgt. Pepper was pretty much directly influenced by Brian Wilson's songwriting for Smile, but then Smile was never released and Sgt. Pepper was hailed as such an amazing record.

It's their simplicity and pop sensibility that made them so good. So I'm not going to say they should have worked outside the box a little more, because frankly I think their more contemporary stuff is better than stuff like Yellow Submarine.
raublekick is offline   Reply With Quote