View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
What torrent sites are doing is totally illegal, I agree with that. But don't most, if not all, have some sort of "don't download if you don't own" policy? I think it's a weak barrier, but it is a policy to stop illegal actions on their sites. And should it be illegal for me to download an mp3 rip of a CD I own? I don't think so, but I'm not sure if it is or not.

Anyone ever use Hotline Client? Almost everyone's server welcome message contains "Do not enter if you are an employee of the FBI, CIA, or other government agency blah blah blah". Again, it's kind of weak, but what they're basically saying is "Do not enter my PRIVATE connection unless I say you can". This is the case with torrent sites, and all they host is a small file that links people together to some files that are on the user's private connections.

It's definitely harder for the government to enforce cyber crimes because they know illegal activity goes down, but they can't prove it. It's a whole mess that they seem to sidestep the real world legal process to take action against.