View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:29 AM   #5
Plain Old Jane
i hate vagina

Plain Old Jane can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Plain Old Jane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
The game world is fictious and it was made by the developer. If the developer created the game with the ability to steal objects from other people, it is permissible. The only possible violation is whether the game player violated his terms of service in playing the game ... at which the developer could offer a cease and desist for the player to stop playing.(+ mikes stuff on money)
During the summer of my seventeenth year, I worked my ass off and bought new clothes and a PS2 and treated myself to a few new shows and gave a great deal to my SO at the time. I worked for these things, similarly for hours and eventually getting them, they were of worth to me.

I could care less that the US mint backs up my cash with gold, the fact that other people place value on these slips of paper does count and does go through my mind.

In the game, this sword was won through dedication and time, time wasted twere it stolen. It had value to the man that earned it, and no doubt others playing the game.

Both money and alleged swords exist on servers under the same format as ones and zeros. (granted thats a broad term but it is essentially true) The sword held value for the fucker who stole it and the man who earned it. Money in the physical sense only has value to those who use it and take it in return for goods and services. those ones and zeros on a computer that signify the 30 some dollars in my bank account (tuitions a fucking bitch) hold value because I believe they do, nonetheless they have value.

While playing the devils advocate, I can see why this sort of thing can happen, but the point is not whether the sword held any value federally, its if it held value to those involved, and that could have been prevented with proper legislation, not nessesarily from the federal govt.

Quote:
If this were real life, and somebody stole somebody's sword, it is illegal, but that does not give anybody else a right to shoot that person.
This is true, nontheless, is it right to continue to have no rules concerning ownership and punishment for virtual criminal behavior. As this would cause stuff like this to happen again.