View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #16
Liss
hex can see my boobs

Liss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Liss
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny
i don't really understand why these hurricanes are such big news every year, anyways. i mean, if you live in an area that has a hurricane season, you should expect your shit to get fucked up, pretty well annually. it's not a big surprise!

It is, sometimes, actually. You need to understand that the past two years have seen an insane increase in storm activity.

Last year alone was a phenomenon. Florida was devastated by Charley, Frances, and Ivan, and smaller storms worsened the situation. This year, my area alone was affected by tropical storm Arlene, tropical storm Cindy, hurricane Dennis, hurricane Katrina, and hurricane Rita.

On the Alabama coast, we went 6 years without any major alert before Ivan hit in 2004. Before that, our only devastating storm was hurricane Danny in 1997. And before THAT... hurricane Frederick, in 1979! Since 1901 the Alabama coast has had about a dozen serious hits.

New Orleans has never been this seriously affected by tropical activity, and it's been 25 years since a storm really hurt them at all.

Mississippi hasn't been hit by a storm since hurricane Georges in 1998. Before that was hurricane Florence, a baby storm at 75 mph...10 years earlier in 1988.

Personally, I think we're entitled to surprise.
Liss is offline   Reply With Quote