View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #33
Stormy
i'm horny for hex

Stormy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsy
I emerge victorious, but my arms wish I hadn't

I find it really difficult to eat right, but I'm making a conscious effort to at least cut back on all the junk. I've been drinking water every day for a while (not as much as I should) and I've started bringing apples in for a snack at work instead of chips or something.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a healthy, QUICK breakfast each morning? Super emphasis on quick, like something I can grab, eat, and run. I don't feel like getting up any earlier than I have to. 4 AM is early enough, thanks.
This type of breakfast is going to vary amongst people. While some can get away with a piece of toast, some fruit and yogurt, I can't. I need a bit more fat and protein to carry me over until lunch--otherwise I'm starving at least two hours after breakfast. Try boiling some eggs ahead of time, and having two or three of those with toasted quality bread (wholegrain or something like it) and peanut butter/butter and jam, or a toasted bagel with cream cheese/butter and jam. I'd say top it off with a glass of milk (for the fat), but milk tends to put people to sleep. If you're one of those people, go for pulpy (for the "fiber") orange juice (if you like it). A great way to figure this out is to have seven different breakfasts for a week. Vary what type of breakfast you're having. The first can be fruit and yogurt, the second can be what I suggested, the third can be cereal topped with strawberries and a hard-boiled egg, et cetera, just be sure to go from super light to super greasy, and vary the amount of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, fat and other stuff you eat. Breakfast is a KEY meal to losing weight. Even if you start out it out eating sausage or biscuits and gravy like me, if you eat to sustain your energy levels, you're going to eat LESS later in the day. THIS IS KEY. While your breakfast may not be super-healthy, the fact that you're eating less because you're not as hungry (you're at your natural hunger levels, not your nocturnally-starved eat all I can levels) is going to lead to weight loss when coupled with exercise.

For sustained energy in breakfast and snacks, remember the PFF: protein, fiber and fat. Sugars and carbohydrates burn off quicker--which is why junkfood doesn't really carry you over. An apple is a great snack, because of the fiber in its skin; an apple with peanut butter is an even greater snack because it has protein AND fiber. Come up with a list of easy snack-ingredients that meet one or more of the PFF, and then switch out which you eat, so snack time doesn't get mundane. Because eating healthy gets old fast, and you've got to find ways to keep yourself doing it.

Last edited by Stormy : 04-22-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote