View Single Post
Old 11-28-2004, 02:37 AM   #5
Jesse
Administrator

Jesse has disabled reputation
I too have just purchased a nice MiniDV camera. Sony DCRHC20. At first though, I went with a JVC GRD33US. I did a lot of research on cameras before I went and dropped a nice chunk of money on one, and I read that the JVC had good performance in low light areas. Well, no, it doesn't. The "Night Alive" option slows the shutter down so the video is very choppy, and not even worth keeping. So, a week after I bought it, I took it back, spent $70 more, and got the Sony. Very very nice camera, really small, great features, great pictures, just a great camera.

Anyway, I've done LOTS of video editing on my computer. I used to be in a small VCD group, and I learned a lot of nifty things.

What you want to do is make sure you get a great capture file. Vegas Video is alright, but, I mean, nothing really special. For the last couple videos I've edited on my computer, I just used Windows Movie Maker, which is fine for anybody that just wants to edit some film and get a nice product.

When you begin to capture in Windows Movie Maker, you're prompted to select a bitrate to capture at. Now, depending on the purpose of your footage (do you plan to send it to friends? Or upload it to webspace? Or just to have on your computer? Burn it to VCD/SVCD/DVD?) So, if you want a small file size, but ok quality, I usually go with 512kb/sec capture. If size is no issue, I go with 1 or 2 mbps capture. There are other programs out there that will give you more control over your capture (like VDub for example) but, if you want to keep it simple, stay with Windows Movie Maker. Windows Movie Maker is good for capturing some good raw video, and it's simple.

As far as editing goes, you could use Windows Movie Maker for editing as well, but, with such simplicity, you lose a lot of features and what not. Though you can do a lot of basic transitions and things with Movie Maker, it's just not gonna do it for somebody that's trying to put together a really complex video.

And that brings you to the Windows solution to video editing. Adobe Premiere. If you're in the know, you can acquire a copy. I highly suggest using this app for somebody that wants to get serious with video editing.

And also, how are you capturing your video? Firewire, USB, A/V IN? Different capture methods play a big role in capture quality.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote