View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
Jesse, you aren't the only person here into metal, trust me.

In my opinion most metal drummers aren't that great. They can play fast as hell, but it's all doublebass with some really simple snare/hihat/occasional tom work.

If you want to hear an insane drummer check out Zach Hill. He is the drummer for Hella, and at first it seems like he is a just a fast and chaotic drummer with no real sense of keeping the rhythm to a song. But after listening ot Hella records over and over you can hear all the details and see that he is actually in almost perfect rhythm, but his style is so unconventional that it doesn't seem so. He has a record out with some other drummer called Nervous Cop, haven't heard it yet but it sounds interesting.

Spencer Seim, the other half of Hella, is one of my favorite guitarists. He can just play so many melodies simultaneously, it sounds like there are at least 2 people playing guitar. He's also a really good drummer for the Advantage. It's odd because his normal guitar style is so off the wall and insane, but his drumming is really conventional comparatively. But he excells at each.

Damon Che is another great drummer, from Don Cabellero. So is Alex Van Halen (tell me the drumming in Hot For Teacher isn't fucking awesome!).

Why the hell am I talking about drummers? I don't even play drums....

Eddie Van Halen is amazing, his style (pre 1984) was just intense. The man invented tapping solos for christ's sake, he basically created metal solos.

I can't think of anyone else at the moment, I'll probably add more later when I can look through my CD collection.
raublekick is offline   Reply With Quote