View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
Jesse
Administrator

Jesse has disabled reputation
Your favorite musicians?

We've all seen what happens when a thread is started about a band, but, I figure this should be approached differently. Let's discuss musicians instead of bands.

My musical taste has changed a lot over the last year. I used to be into really simple music, but now, since I've started playing guitar, I've grown to appreciate more technical and skilled music. I know I'm the only person here that likes death metal and what not, but, the guitarists are insane.

Anyway, onto the topic of this thread. Who are your favorite musicians? Can be anybody that plays an instrument.

For me, it's tough to chose just one. I've got 4 favorite guitarists, and one favorite bassist right now, and they're amazing guitarists. Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) The Amott brothers (Arch Enemy) and Pat O'Brien (Cannibal Corpse). And Alex Webster (Bass, Cannibal Corpse) Though I've got different reasons for all of them.

Alexi can just write and play ASTOUNDING music. You can tell how good he is from listening to any Children of Bodom CD, but, the other day I got this guitar lecture video, and the stuff he can play is just phenomonal. He's right up on par with Yngwie in my book. Let alone the solos he can write.

And the Amott brothers, they just write the best riffs. And their solos are so beautiful. Maybe I use the term "solo" too loosely. There are different kinds of solos. There are Slayer solos which are just disgusting (in a good way), and then there are solos that are just written so well and sound so good. Some of the stuff Alexi and The Amott brothers come up with is just so perfect.

And then there's Pat O'Brien of Corpse. I'm convinced he can play any riff at any speed. I have a video of them playing one of their songs, and unless you saw it, you wouldn't believe the stuff he can do on a guitar.

Alex Webster can match what Pat O'Brien can do on a bass. Not only is he fast and technical, but, he uses a lot of different picking methods on his bass. He's taught himself several different music styles, and then applied them to death metal. He's a great musician. He's not far behind Victor Wooten in my book.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote