Thread: age
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
raditz

raditz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to raditz
Since the topic has been brought up i thought i'd express my views. sorry raub

The argument that McCain is too old is, imo, ridiculous.

McCain just turned 72, which I believe will mean that if he does win the presidency, he will be the oldest elected president thus far. Right behind him would be Ronald Regan, believed by many, including me, to be one of the greatest presidents we've had. Regan turned 70 within his first two months in the White House. Within two months of leaving office, Ronald Regan turned 78. Regan was diagnosed with alzheimer's in 1994 and died in 2004 at the age of 93.

Both George H. W. Bush and Jimmy Carter are 84, and both are still very active. Bush even received media attention in April of this year when he caught a 134lb mammoth tarpon - not bad for a man over 80.

JFK was the youngest president to be elected into office at the age of 43. He was only 46 when he was tragically assassinated - only one year younger than Obama is right now.

My point is that John McCain is perfectly able to be president at 72. I doubt he'd run for a second term or even win if he did. This means that he'd only be 76 on his way out, which still wouldn't make him the oldest president we've ever had.

It's rather funny to me that people are so eager to bring up McCain's age and health, but I never hear anybody talk about Obama's health - weather he'd be fit to be president with a history of smoking and cocaine abuse.
raditz is offline   Reply With Quote