View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
johnny

johnny is on a distinguished road
i got an ipod mini and it is frustrating me

so yesterday i got me an ipod mini, because they're neat, and cds are kind of annoying (though they appear to still work better than an ipod?). anyways, i installed the ipod and itunes bullshit on my machine (xp professional sp2) and i was importing some cds into my itunes library--everything's working fine. but when i update my ipod, it tends to not work. usually it'll transfer a few songs--maybe 3 to 5 out of 10 or 15 songs--and then the updating process freezes up and i get an error dialog that reads "attempting to copy to the disk 'IPOD' failed. an unknown error occurred (-36)." so i googled some junk and tried updating my ipod's software and restoring it. that didn't solve the problem either. :/

so today i brought the ipod back to the apple store and had them test it out. they restored it using the ipod updater (on a mac) and then used itunes to update it, and it worked just fine. the computer transferred all 110 songs they had in their itunes library without a problem. also, they used my firewire cable, cause i brought it in with me. so i'm pretty much forced to assume that the problem is not with my ipod mini, or the cable.

so it seems like i have a couple options;
- try buying a new firewire card (or a usb 2 card) for my computer, and hope that it resolves the problem. i have no reason to assume my firewire card is shitty, because i've never used it before i got this ipod, but maybe there's some kind of obscure problem with my firewire card? i checked online for updated drivers and any possible windows xp patches for firewire cards, but everything seems to be up-to-date
- use my slower normal usb ports to transfer music to my ipod, and buy one of those power adapters so i can charge the ipod with an electrical outlet. (because i heard that if it's not a usb 2 card, then it can't charge the ipod. can somebody confirm that..?)

the way i see it, i'm going to have to spend around $50 so i don't have to put up with this stupid error anymore, unless one of you guys has a better solution, so what should i do?

(fyi, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both itunes and ipod software, and i've restored the ipod a couple times. this random error that i get when updating the ipod keeps on popping up anyways.. the only time it actually worked right was at that stupid apple store)
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote