View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 AM   #28
raublekick

raublekick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raublekick
I think Neil hit a lot of points that I agree with. As far as public opinion goes, this is how I look at it: The majority can believe anything, but just because it's the majority does not mean it should be accepted. If the majority thought that molesting children was A-OK definitely does not mean it is right. In most cases the majority decision is fine, or at least acceptable. But there is always the possibility that the miniority has, in fact, the more valid opinion. It's all about stepping back and thinking, if only for a short amount of time, that your opinion could be wrong.

In order for something to be considered "wrong" or "right" there has to be some sort of opposite or reason for it. In this case, why is touching children wrong? Because you've been told that it is? Think about how touching children can be "right" and then you'll have a more valid answer. So in this perspective think about how simply sleeping with children is both "wrong" and "right". I don't really know much to prove either, but I've read about positives and negatives for both cases.

Another aspect is that nothing is absolutely wrong or right. If you had to molest a child to save five other children, would you? In this case should you be prosecuted if you choose to save the five children?

Granted, much of my ramblings have little to do with this specific case, but I think it's something extremely important for social and individual growth.