TheTestTube.com

TheTestTube.com (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   so... college (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626)

teensupernothing 12-18-2005 09:54 AM

so... college

penn state- (got into their pre-design program) and i'm getting a decent merit scholarship. i wouldn't fence....

and farleigh dickinson- fencing coach offered me a full scholarship, but their graphic design sucks. i'd end out going for education.

let the race begin.

i'm scared.

Mr Biglesworth 12-18-2005 10:00 AM

logic:
weight the three factors. Are you in need of the full scholarship? Is the presence of fencing worth pursuing education over design? This is your life.
Life is illogical.
Live in a box.

teensupernothing 12-18-2005 11:37 AM

not entirely in need of a full scholarship, but it'll make things much easier while actually in college. and yeah, fencing is important, but not vital. the reason i wouldn't be fencing is because the predesign program is too intense to pile a sport on top... not cause the coach doesn't want me.

pros and cons everywhere...

you guys all went through this, how the hell do you decide the rest of your life?

Mr Biglesworth 12-18-2005 11:40 AM

without foresight.

johnny 12-18-2005 11:51 AM

some of us haven't really made a decision on what to do with the rest of our lives yet..? i hope it's not just me :o

in any case, if you want a decent education then pick the school that seems to have the better program.

teensupernothing 12-18-2005 11:58 AM

better program. for graphic design? hands down penn state, for education? FDU actually.

bleh. i'm gonna go tack up acceptance letters on the walls and throw darts at them to choose.

Stormy 12-19-2005 12:55 AM

Can you fence in any non-collegiate groups or programs? I'd try scoping the fencing "scene" outside of Penn State.

You go to school for academics, not hobbies. I can understand the appeal of continuing hobbies in college, but you should focus on your academic priorities, and expand your non-scholastic activities according to those available at the best school for your preferred academic/occupational direction. If you later find that hey, design sucks ass and I don't want to waste my time studying this shit!, you can always transfer.

edit: damn, didn't read your second post. I still say go for academics at PS, and see if you can fit a lighter load of fencing into your schedule that may be available outside of the school's team.

teensupernothing 12-19-2005 01:08 PM

it's been (almost) decided.

FDU class of 2010

malta 12-19-2005 03:09 PM

Your not going to be able to fence all your life and your really good at it, so if its something you love I think you should go to the college that gives you time to fence while your young and healthy.

Stormy 12-19-2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malta
Your not going to be able to fence all your life and your really good at it, so if its something you love I think you should go to the college that gives you time to fence while your young and healthy.

Who says she can't fence when she's older? She may not be as lithe then, but I imagine she could get back in shape for it.

Good job deciding, merk.

malta 12-19-2005 08:44 PM

Well I guess she could, but more or less I was suggesting that if its important to her she might want to go to the college that allows her to stick with it.

Whats your major/minor going to be?

Cid 12-22-2005 12:42 PM

I'm just being a pile of sour grapes as usual, but it seems to me that you should go wherever they have the best program for the major you want to persue. I mean, fencing is neat and all...but damn, it won't pay the bills. You have to put your education before your leisure I'm affriad.

But then, that's just me.

malta 12-22-2005 02:44 PM

Isn't merk entitled to some million dollars when she turns 18?

Theres infinite amounts of work you can do outside the classroom to get yourself more intuitive with a field. If FDUs certificate for your major is up to some standard for employers, then I think the quality of your work will be more important then how good the schools program was. But if the difference in quality of the programs is that great, or if employers will see your FDU certificate and not think much of it, you may be better off going to the college with the better program for your major.

testtubebaby 12-22-2005 03:14 PM

once again, cidney is the final bastion of logic