TheTestTube.com

TheTestTube.com (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/index.php)
-   Games (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dragon Quest 8 (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606)

Cid 11-27-2005 10:36 AM

Dragon Quest 8

Well, you know it's good if it spurred me on to make a post.

Just wondering if anyone here has played it. If you know me, which I'm sure you don't, you know that there are 2 things I can't live without; and that's Dragon Warrior and Castlevania. This game rivals DW7 and even 4 as my favorite in the series...and 4 probably only gets the nod for nostalgia. The gameplay is still as basic as ever, all turn based, no limit breaks and no fucking sphear grid. I'm ONLY 30 hours into the game and I'm not close to being half way done....it's just so addictave. I was up until 2 last night just playing in the monster arena...I'd explain it...but I'm lazy.

Just please, go buy this game. If enough people do, it might make squeenix decide to bring their remakes of 4 and 5 over, and maybe even remake 6! That would be the best thing they've done for me in a few years...'cuz that god awful FF12 demo sure didn't cut it...god DAMN!

thecreeper 11-27-2005 11:06 AM

you liked DW7? ugh, no offense, but i thought that game was terrible. i've played the older ones briefly (and i happen to like the series) but this is the first one i've seen that might be worth playing at some point.

don't read this though unless you want to burst a blood vessel. this guy's an asshole

Cid 11-28-2005 01:52 PM

Oh man, what was wrong with 7? Do you not like RPGs?? It was just so much fun, I can see if you're a graphics whore...but man, if you can't see the charm of that game...we have a problem, you and I.

Cid 11-28-2005 01:53 PM

Oh, and if you really hated 7 (depending on why, exactly), you'll probably hate this too. The graphics are the only real "upgrade".

thecreeper 11-28-2005 02:35 PM

i just really thought the game was too long. i didnt play all of it, but i watched my friend play a decent amount of it, and after 120 hours, he was done. that's just too much for me.

and i'm not a graphics whore, but the half ass CG in 7 took away more than if they would have just left it as in-game graphics. and i don't think 7 really took advantage of the hardware for playstation, since it basically had the same look of a super nintendo game (admittedly, there was 3d backgrounds, but still).

anyway, i never played through it, so i'm not the best judge of the series. my friend wrote this review that i thought summed up my thoughts of what i saw pretty well.

i definitely want to give the series more of a chance though, so i might try to through one of the better ones like DW4.

testtubebaby 11-28-2005 05:16 PM

i hear magna carta is better... i'll probably look into that.

on a related note, what's up with S-E biting on Atlus' style? releasing DQ7 in a collectable box p.o.s.?

malta 11-28-2005 06:16 PM

My brother has it but since he lives in san diego I havn't had a chance to see it. He has the slime controller too. Only dragon warrior I've played is the first one, up until a point I got real tired of just leveling my guy up.

I've only had interest in castlevania games since I've given up on xenosaga. A sequel to resident evil 4 will be sweet too. Have you played either of the ones they just released? I was going to rent the ps2 one and then rent a DS and the one for that. The one for DS looks sweet.

I think with emulators I've played every CV except 2 for original gameboy and the turbo graphics 16 cd-rom one.

thecreeper 11-28-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malta
My brother has it but since he lives in san diego I havn't had a chance to see it. He has the slime controller too. Only dragon warrior I've played is the first one, up until a point I got real tired of just leveling my guy up.

I've only had interest in castlevania games since I've given up on xenosaga. A sequel to resident evil 4 will be sweet too. Have you played either of the ones they just released, cid? I was going to rent the ps2 one and then rent a DS and the one for that. The one for DS looks sweet.

I think with emulators I've played every CV except 2 for original gameboy and the turbo graphics 16 cd-rom one.

i should be getting dawn of sorrow for christmas. it's really fun, i know that from briefly playing it.

and yeah xenosaga, you made the right decision to quit. it sucks.

Cid 11-29-2005 08:53 AM

Magna Carta got shitty reviews from what I saw (Game rankings has Magna Carta at like 71% and DQ8 at about 91% for what THAT'S worth)...but the people who have it seem to like it. I just doubt that I, personally, would like it more than DQ8.

When I get a fucking DS, I'll get Dawn of Sorrow. I have all the GBA Castlevania games, all wonderful. I wasn't into Lament of innosence much, so I'm not too keen on getting Curse of Darkness...god damn 3D.

malta 11-29-2005 12:02 PM

LOI was ok to me, but definitely not up there with the others. I just remmeber how bad the motion capture for the FMVs looked.

thecreeper 11-29-2005 10:56 PM

lament of innocence was fun, but compared to other action titles on PS2 like Devil May Cry titles, it was a bit more limited. The big appeal for me as to why i liked it so much was the fact that it had a decent story and there was a lot of classic castlevania enemies in it. the square rooms and endless tap tap gameplay did tend to make it tedious at times though.

i would love to play the new one, but i can't see buying it. they just don't have enough value in them.

heX 11-30-2005 01:18 AM

DW8 is AMAZING

Cid 11-30-2005 09:51 AM

Well at least SOMEONE can see, with quality, quality when there's quality to be seen with quality.