TheTestTube.com

TheTestTube.com (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/index.php)
-   Computers (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need free php scripts (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723)

Plain Old Jane 03-18-2006 05:52 PM

Need free php scripts

helping a buncha friends out with setting up a clan page for this game called Kingdom of Loathing (an MMO that makes fun of... everything.) I'd like some free scripts, php/mysql whatever. preferably with demo pages.

thecreeper 03-18-2006 06:01 PM

haha, i think raub knows a little bit about KOL.

Plain Old Jane 03-18-2006 06:38 PM

Jeperel (#643126)
Clan: UnitedOrderofDiscoBanditsandAccordianThieves

msg me

johnny 03-18-2006 06:40 PM

well what do you need? if you're just looking for a php/mysql content management system to install, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. but if you're just looking for bits and pieces of free code to use to construct a site, then just try googling it, or maybe searching on the hotscripts site. unless you're looking for scripts that perform really obscure tasks, i'm sure you'll find what you need.

if yer looking for somebody to write some code, i would consider lending a hand. but i don't have tonnes of time to devote, so i wouldn't do it if it was a really big job.

Plain Old Jane 03-19-2006 01:28 AM

oh no, just a lil help, y'kna answering a question or two im sure ill need to ask.

also, what software and plugins do we use here. cuz i like the streamline of site news forum and the main portal page.

GT2000 03-19-2006 06:58 PM

Go for phpnuke and just use the forum addon.

Plain Old Jane 03-20-2006 01:36 PM

can someone do a quick runthrough of the whole process of putting together a php site?

raublekick 03-20-2006 02:18 PM

oh, so this is what you messaged me about...

i was a suave disco bandit but i fear that my character has been vaporized.

GT2000 03-20-2006 06:46 PM

Well, besides following the instructions you mean? (seriously, the instructions that most of them come with will suffice).

Usually it goes something like this.. (we'll start with the sql database)

Create sql database/user/pass
Insert database/user/pass info into the config.php file
Upload files
Set permissions (if necessary)
Run install.php (or whatever they call it, if necessary)
Delete any files it may tell you to after the install is complete

That is assuming you use something which uses sql and not flat files, and also assuming if it is sql, that you already have access to create a database (or at least have the database info if the host only provides one predetermined database for the account).

Plain Old Jane 03-22-2006 04:18 PM

who hosts this site? i just need webspace now.

Mike 03-24-2006 02:37 AM

Jep, Angelfire has some great features like pictures, text, and 5 mb of webspace.

Quote:

can someone do a quick runthrough of the whole process of putting together a php site?
Code:

<?php
print("hello world, this is a php website");
?>

save it as default.php, upload it... BOOM. A php website.

Plain Old Jane 03-26-2006 04:25 PM

how much space does a forum like this take up? cuz thats prolly gonna be the biggest hassle

heX 03-30-2006 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plain Old Jane
how much space does a forum like this take up? cuz thats prolly gonna be the biggest hassle

www.1and1.com

the best server i have ever come accross..

29.94$ (4.99 a month)
includes
6 months of space
2 domain names
50 GB web space
1,000 e-mail accounts
500 GB transfer volume
100 sub-domain names
web stats
good tech. support
and everything you need for forums (mysql db)

installing php scripts on there is extremly easy. if you buy space i can walk you right through it.

im using phpbb right now for my board and like it. but nuke would probably be a better angle. i just wanted my page to be more customized so i decided to do it with old fasion html.

Jesse 04-02-2006 02:45 PM

www.dreamhost.com is the best host I've found, and they're also my current host.

For $29.99 I got 1 year of hosting with:
20gb of webspace.
1tb of bandwidth.
And all the other goodies that come with hosting.

If you use dreamhost.com, make sure you use the promotional code "DMH" when you're signing up. That code gives you 90% off your total purchase. So if you didn't use the code, it'd be about $130 for the year.

Mike 04-25-2006 05:45 PM

Pretty much what I pay ... $12/month... unlimited everything (within reason). BUt... it is $12/month.