TheTestTube.com

TheTestTube.com (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   2 weeks (http://www.thetesttube.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517)

Liss 11-01-2005 08:45 PM

2 weeks

I have 14 days to commit to enrollment at the University of California Riverside. I've narrowed my Spring semester schooling down to two choices: UCR, and the University of South Alabama in Mobile, 90 minutes from my momma.

The choice seems simple, but I'm suffering incredible anxiety over it. This is the problem: I'm very family oriented...my sister, my brothers, my sister in law, my mom, and my future stepdad, AND my pregnant friend who has named me godmother to her unborn child all live in the beautiful state of Alabama. I also have an INCREDIBLY difficult time being social in new situations (I'm shy :( ). The only family I have in socal is my dad, with whom I have a horrible history and a shady looking future. I'm terrified I'll get out to California and commit suicide.

2 weeks to decide on a 2200 mile move. I've never seen the school even. Oh Lawd ma achin head...

thecreeper 11-01-2005 08:49 PM

tough call. but i would be looking for something closer to home, the place in california seems like a high risk situation. and trust me, if you are family oriented, its going to be hell being that far away initially. i know a few friends who went to college an hour or two away from home and after a semester, left and went back closer to home.

also, if you have never seen the school, i strongly recommend you don't go there. the school, and especially the area around it, plays a very large role in being happy at the school.

Mr Biglesworth 11-13-2005 11:24 AM

What's the update, Liss?
Personally I know I'd run off to California, but that choice is probably easier for me. Still, I'd suffer some of the same anxieties, but If I really thought it was a better school I would want to do it, and force myself to grow and adapt. You've never struck me as a person who takes the lane of least resistance in life. How confidant are you that living in Cali would be a bad thing?

Liss 11-14-2005 09:02 PM

On Friday I make the 2200 mile drive to find an apartment. I'll stay 5 days then drive back to Alabama to take my finals, and drive BACK to California to make my official move in mid December. I start classes in January.

I'm scared to death, but mainly because I'm going to be virtually alone and I have a natural phobia of meeting people. But all in all, I'm independent and stubborn...deep down I know I'll be fine. I'm glad I'm moving toward my life goals and overall, I'm excited. Really excited.

johnny 11-14-2005 09:13 PM

good work making (what seems like it was) a difficult choice. good luck finding an apartment! i'm sure you'll do fine when you move out there. (and if you have problems you can complain about them here :D)

thecreeper 11-14-2005 09:22 PM

if you don't see the minibosses when you're out there and that close, i'll be really disappointed.