PDA

View Full Version : fall 2006 television recommendations

testtubebaby
11-27-2006, 06:12 AM
what are you watching that you'd suggest to other people, and why? i'm always looking for new stuff to watch, but i never know how to choose which shows will be the ones i'll commit myself to.

these are the ones i'm watching now, and a score of sorts for each...

the office (season 3): better than season 1, not as good as the emmy winning season 2... seems to be drawing out the drama to 50+ episodes where the british office was only able to string it along through 12. plus, they got rid of one of the best, yet under utilized characters, oscar. we'll see how it builds for the rest of the season. 8/10

30 rock (season 1): a non-episodic, narrative comedy... gotta love it. maybe i love it more because tina fey reminds me of my girlfriend, but i think it's more than that. fey, adam baldwin, tracy morgan, and an amazing cast keep the comedy level high on a consistant basis. plot revolves around the behind the scenes of a sketch comedy show that is being forced in unusual (or, perhaps, completely usual given the market) by the exacutives. 9/10

ugly betty (season 1): because my girlfriend told me to watch it, i am. overweight mexican-american girl gets a job working at a fashion magazine, and crazyness abounds... kinda like a television version of the devil wears prada, but with enough differences to make it unique. based on a spanish soap opera, it has more twists than a crazy straw. 5/10

frisky dingo (season 1): non-episodic narrative comedy by the makers of the super episodic comedy sealab 2021. follows the exploits of so-called killface and his plan to blow up the earth, while a billionaire playboy tried to make him his arch enemy for merchandising reasons. good parody of super hero shows.
7/10

raublekick
11-27-2006, 08:09 AM
heroes is great, but i have missed the past 3 (going to be 4 tonight) episodes and my internets are too slow to catch up online.

Optimus Funk
11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
I agree with both of you on most everything except, ugly betty, for the obvious reason that she is indeed an ugly betty. I agree with Rauble on Heroes. I love the frisky dingo shout out but where is the love for Venture Brothers! In addition to Venture brothers I would like to add, Top Chef(Bravo), and also Las Vegas(NBC) I can never watch it cause it cuts too deeply into my friday nights, but still I catch it online.