PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft released

raublekick
10-26-2006, 09:57 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyAnnouncement

yeah! johnny, give me a hi-five bro! WOO! CAN I GET A MANBARK?? UHH!

testtubebaby
10-26-2006, 11:51 AM
what is this geeky shit?

thecreeper
10-28-2006, 09:53 PM
quiet, tubesteakbaby.

rauble came over and helped me install ubuntu last night. this is my first time alone in a linux environment. kinda scary.

johnny
10-29-2006, 03:39 PM
got edgy fired up today. it's nice. i like upstart, and gnome 2.16 is alright. (still holding out for kde4..)

raublekick
10-29-2006, 03:49 PM
got edgy fired up today. it's nice. i like upstart, and gnome 2.16 is alright. (still holding out for kde4..)

right on. KDE 4 is going to make it very hard to choose an DE.

johnny
10-29-2006, 07:50 PM
i've done a bit of googling on upstart, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.. or on the ubuntu forums or wiki. any idea how to make it more verbose while booting up?? i thought maybe hitting f2 during boot would do it, but no such luck.

raublekick
10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
i've done a bit of googling on upstart, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.. or on the ubuntu forums or wiki. any idea how to make it more verbose while booting up?? i thought maybe hitting f2 during boot would do it, but no such luck.

i've been wondering the same, but no luck finding anything

johnny
10-31-2006, 08:13 PM
aha! in the file /boot/grub/menu.lst there is a line:
# defoptions=quiet splashremove the word "quiet" (root privileges required to do the edit), and run
sudo update-grub

(credit goes to the person who responded to my thread on ubuntu forums..)

sharkz
11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Not planning to upgrade yet, unless I find a convenient spare 80-gig or so drive to back up onto first. Based on slashdot's story about messy upgrades. Unless you guys can debunk that.

johnny
11-01-2006, 10:23 PM
i would recommend a backup + fresh install, rather than doing the upgrade with aptitude; however, that's purely based on having heard of problems that other people have had. i can't really speak from experience, 'cause whenever i install a new version i tend to format and start fresh because i don't usually have much data to backup/lose. so it's just more clean to start from scratch...

raublekick
11-01-2006, 11:39 PM
i don't know what all the complaints about upgrading are all about. was using apt-get or aptitude or update-manager ever the suggested way of upgrading? no. did they advertise that it would work much better this time? no. were there major changes with this release that would drastically hinder upgrading this way? YES!

raublekick
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
using Xubuntu:

http://entropy.good-evil.net/xubuntuscreen.png

sharkz
11-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Considering, when I can obtain afformentioned hard drive to move my home dir to, dual booting either Edgy, Arch or Dream with XP.

(I'm pretty settled in with linux but I find myself missing, oddly enough, stuff like being able to reliably direct connect on AIM.)

johnny
11-20-2006, 05:24 PM
using Xubuntu:

http://entropy.good-evil.net/xubuntuscreen.pngxfce is wonderful. i've stuck with gnome so far, but i'm not 100% sure why. i guess i just wanted to scope out v2.16, and forgot to get back to something which i like a bit better afterwards.

as i've said a few times before: still waiting on kde4!

rauble, your computer is named luigi, and mine is littlemac. nintendo connection! btw, is that xmms yer running with a fancy skin, or something that looks an awful lot like xmms??

johnny
11-20-2006, 05:36 PM
well i think i've been given the inspiration i need to go back to running xfce.. i'll do that later tonight

raublekick
11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
johnny, the player is Audacious. It's a fork of the now dead BMP which was a fork of XMMS... so yeah, it's kinda like XMMS.

johnny
11-21-2006, 06:02 AM
is it better than xmms? i gave up on xmms a while back..

johnny
11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
i decided to give beep media player a shot, rather than audacious. i like beep alot.

raublekick
11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
so it looks like the only thing i really miss from Gnome is gnome-volume-manager. Thunar doesn't automount my SD reader, but ivman does. If i use ivman, i can't unmount things... grrr...

johnny
11-30-2006, 07:46 PM
i'll now contribute an xfce screenshot:
http://matrix.senecac.on.ca/~jrmatth1/images/screen.jpg

i can't seem to find the beep-media-player icon in my system.. so that's why that odd black and grey speaker icon is in my panel. (you can see the proper bmp icon in the window list..)

GT2000
11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
So I have a new hard drive, and I have a 45gb partition unused on it.. meaning, I can freely mess with linux now. Are there any major differences between 6.05 and 6.10, besides the fact that 6.05 has lts?

raublekick
11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Donnie, there are and there aren't.

Edgy (6.10) has new upstart scripts that somewhat increase boot time, it uses Gnome 2.16 (Dapper uses 2.14), has a newer kernel, etc.

I'd say if Dapper works for you then staying with that should be no problem. But edgy is fun too!

GT2000
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, since if this actually works unlike installing on my laptop did over the summer, it'd be my first time messin with linux in several years, I'll just go with the newer one and play with it as time allows.

GT2000
12-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Trying to install Edgy Eft i386 on my system and it gets past the first part, then the part where the ubuntu logo is shown with the bar below moving back and forth, then the display freezes, and then I get to the orange display with a cursor, however, at that point it seems to stop, I still get hard drive activity, and a wide, however, condensed (smashed) box tries to popup, but it's like corrupted image the way it looks.. ugh, can't really explain it, I'm going to download the 64-bit version of dapper drake and see if that's any different..

GT2000
12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Got the same result using 6.06 64-bit.. maybe ubuntu just doesn't like my hardware setup. Here's a pic, looks like crap cause i took it with my phone.

raublekick
12-02-2006, 02:43 AM
hmm could be. what video card are you using? also, did you check the md5sum? if you used bit torrent it probably isn't necessary though. that's really weird though. however, i would avoid 64 bit.

GT2000
12-02-2006, 07:34 AM
I did verify both iso's while booted into them, running dual 7800gt's, a dual-core opteron 165, on an evga nf41.

johnny
12-02-2006, 08:45 AM
you may have better luck with the "alternate install" cd. it's not a live cd, just the plain old installer (if i recall correctly.. :o). at least once you get your system installed, if xorg or linux is having troubles with your hardware you can troubleshoot it. if the live cd doesn't like your hardware, then it is just going to hang up.. (that's what the gentoo live cd does every time on my computer, lol)

raublekick
12-02-2006, 10:56 AM
donnie, the dual 7800's could definitely be the issue. on a quick search i can't seem to find anything on using dual video cards, which either means that no one has any trouble with them or nobody uses them! definitely try what johnny said, although it does pretty much mean that you are gonna have to figure something out.

if you really want to test it out, try removing one of the cards to see if it just doesn't like the dual card set up.

GT2000
12-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok, I saw the alternate install cd lastnight, maybe next weekend I'll give that a go. I never saw anything about people complaining about having an sli setup and problems with linux, by default it's not in sli until enabled in the nvidia control panel anyways, so who knows. Thanks for the tips you two.

johnny
12-02-2006, 12:29 PM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ can be pretty helpful. there are a selection of useful and helpful people out there. but most people on linux forums are there because they don't know very much yet, and are looking for help.. so if you make a thread you may have to wait a bit for a decent response (aside from somebody saying, "i have this problem too. help!!")