PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami

raublekick
12-30-2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.simnet.is/pah/tsunami/1tsunamiphuket13.wmv

This is pretty crazy stuff. Try to donate some money to Red Cross or something if you can.

thecreeper
12-30-2004, 02:23 PM
116,000 dead by now? entire towns wiped out? this is crazy. i feel so bad for those people.

Metallistar
12-30-2004, 10:30 PM
I donated some cash to red cross, I remember talking about the possibility of something like this happening in my historical geology class, never thought it would actually happen... sure is sad.

Mike
12-31-2004, 01:47 AM
I must be fucked up ... but I don't really feel bad when something like this happens. I guess I sort of do, but not really. It's probably just because I'm so detatched from those people.

I feel bad when I hear of a terrorist attack, or a bomb going off in some nightclub, or something... I feel bad for the people and everything, I wonder how anybody could do that... but when it's nature's fury, not man's... and when I realize that there's absolutly nothing that I could have done, or anybody could have done, to prevent such a thing and there's nothing out of the ordinary that I could do (aside from giving blood, which I give anyway because ... I've got stupid blood and the Red Cross loves it)... I just don't feel *bad*

I dunno, I'm sure that there are other people who feel the same way, but can't say it because they don't want to sound like caloused fucks. Maybe not here, but elsewhere.

heX
12-31-2004, 03:06 AM
no, here too. it sucks and stuff but, i dont know. dont care that much.

sneakdiss
12-31-2004, 01:04 PM
I feel horrible. This shit is worse than a planned out attack in my opinion. It worse when there is nothing you could do vs. something you could've done. 125k + lives taken is insane. The ocean will always be the scariest thing in the world to me.

Plain Old Jane
01-01-2005, 12:00 PM
the ocean is a wonderous and frightful thing. I'm feeling along the same feelings with mike, i do feel sad, I think ANY loss of life is meaningless and sad. but we can all only help in the small ways we are able. but as much as some of us (including me) want to stop and grieve and give reverence and all that, as much as we dont want it to, life goes on. and we have as little control over that as we do over those 100,000 deaths.

when buddha saw four sights: a sick man, a poor man, a begger, and a corpse, he was filled with infinite sorrow.

but he went on to form one of the mainstream religions based on peace and tranquility.

Say a prayer (or dont for our athiest/agnostic viewers), reflect, then move on.

GT2000
01-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah, i've kinda been following the news on this and stuff...just, fucked up. Makes you wonder, though, kinda natures way of weeding out the population on this crowded planet...dunno.

raublekick
01-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, i've kinda been following the news on this and stuff...just, fucked up. Makes you wonder, though, kinda natures way of weeding out the population on this crowded planet...dunno.

That's basically how I feel about all of this sorta mass-death stuff. Aids and Cancer kinda fall into that with me too. It sucks that this stuff has to happen, and I would love for a cure for it all, but the population is getting way too big for this planet.

But I've seen Total Recall, I don't want to live on Mars.

Plain Old Jane
01-02-2005, 12:20 AM
darwin hypothesized that the max population would be between 3 and 43 billion people... I think at 10 we'll have to worry.

Mike
01-02-2005, 01:32 AM
darwin hypothesized that the max population would be between 3 and 43 billion people... I think at 10 we'll have to worry.

There's nothing to worry about. The lack of food will kill off a good 25% of the population, leaving those who are rich enough and smart enough to survive.

Additionally, this isn't going to happen in any of our lifetimes... unless of course, you sleep around once you officially become a woman.

GT2000
01-02-2005, 11:17 PM
We're only at 6 right now Jep, and we're having a problem feeding the hungry now? Oh yeah, 4 more billion starving people, no prob!

raublekick
01-03-2005, 12:31 AM
I don't think the real problem is a lack of food. It's more a lack of means to obtain food.

Metallistar
01-03-2005, 07:29 AM
The united states alone produces enough food to feed the world. Its not lack of food like rauble said, its the fact that the people are too poor to buy it.

Plain Old Jane
01-03-2005, 02:38 PM
theres 6.4 billion now, roughly 50% of the world suffers from malnutrition, and to the best of my knowledge russia is the only country with a negative birth to death ratio, I dont think food is the major problem here. Disease is the major one in africa, whats the incidence of AIDS down there again?

(the site I found the birth to death ratio is gone now, so my info may be a lil outdated. please correct me if I'm wrong now.)

Mike
01-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Regardless of what means they're dying by ... they still would not be eating it, or living like they'd want to, and therefor, dying. Overpopulation will not become a problem. The mortality and requirements for life are too high to sustain legitimate overpopulation.

Plain Old Jane
01-06-2005, 03:32 PM
right! so what your implying is that humans only procreate when they are thriving, not just surviving?

Mr Biglesworth
01-06-2005, 04:39 PM
No, i think he means people will die faster than they will overpopulate?
Overall it wasn't very clear, though.

I'm gonna participate in a Red Cross fundraising effort in my residence. Call me an optimist, but I consider it a testament to emergent humanitarian streams of thought in the global psyche that we've mobilized and donated support for this natural disaster on such a wide scale. It's the same stream that runs through your mother as she soothes you while you're ill. Not sufficient to run the world, but truly a noble and necessary aspect of the soul.

Mike
01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
right! so what your implying is that humans only procreate when they are thriving, not just surviving?

No, but I believe that despondent, starving, disease ridden people die quicker than relatively lively, healthier people.

Call me crazy.