PDA

View Full Version : Some Site Ideas.

thecreeper
10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
if we are going to have a main site again, i figure we first of all need to decide what to do with it. i've been sitting on this idea for awhile but...

my idea for thetesttube is a news site dedicated to what we like and are interested in. we have members interested in computers, programming, every and any type of music, a wide array of games, movies, comics, whatever. the fact is we could have a site like slashdot or fark or something, if people just wanted to contribute. what if we just made every member with seniority have the ability to post a news topic. true, this would widely depend on the committedness of our members, but i feel if we make it easy enough to post new things, it would be a great site we have going. in addition to news, we could have opinion pieces like the old TTT, product reviews, etc.

and i posted this idea before, but the idea of our forums should be rethought. i think until we can prove we have enough members to need to have different forums, we should keep it to just a general forum. In addition, I think we should have other site's forums offered here if so desired. it makes thetesttube a hub for others and not just our little place. we need to breathe new life into the place, and i think we need new members. i know a couple people with sites who may have interest in having a forum, such as the band who is hosted at good-evil, temp sound solutions. (also, i would of course want a good-evil forum back). we need to just put some work into this and i really think we can start something from 5-6 years of friendships with a lot of you guys.

of course, these are all just ideas. we still need to get everyone back here first. but is anyone interested in this idea (and would we be able to do it)?

edit: another thought: maybe the forums shouldn't even be split up, i would be fine with making good-evil's forum the main forum here.

Jesse
10-15-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm very down with what Creep said. He said everything I wanted to say. So, I second his motion.

raublekick
10-15-2004, 03:03 PM
i agree with that creep too.
if i were in charge i would basically give any of us who wanted it the ability to post to the main site. people can just post whatever they want really, and just see what happens.

i also had a similar idea to zachs.
TTT could act as a hub for other sites, sort of like a webring base. when new things get added to the sites involved, someone can add to TTT's main page with a post like "Hey, check out my review of ...."
I know good-evil would be down for something like that, and i can think of a few other sites that would possibly be down. the great thing about it is that TTT wouldn't suffer from much bandwidth/disk space usage because all the real content would be on the partner sites.

sharkz
10-15-2004, 03:59 PM
I kind of agree, although the multi-forum thing doesn't bother me all that much.

raditz
10-16-2004, 02:05 AM
i agree, all hail creep!

johnny
10-16-2004, 07:56 AM
i would occassionally post random news articles if we had a content management system, but i'm not going to commit myself to developing anything.

my news articles would be pretty good. :idea:

lspsycho
10-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Dude I am so in... hehehe :twisted:

Plain Old Jane
10-16-2004, 08:02 PM
okay, now code us a cohesive script to use as a main page, doesnt have to be complete, just a begining.. something we can edit later but has the features we want now.

obeyasia
10-17-2004, 12:29 AM
I will support you.

theoneyouserve, BTW.

thecreeper
10-18-2004, 08:31 AM
any idea of when we could do this? donnie, anyone?

i'd like to see if we could make it work.

GT2000
10-18-2004, 04:29 PM
That's something like I was thinking Zach, along the lines at least. I want to take the time and look at all the diff site scripts available and see what we all like best. I'm down though.

sharkz
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
http://www.opensourcecms.com

Metallistar
10-18-2004, 08:51 PM
It all sounds great to me, lets do this!

johnny
10-18-2004, 09:07 PM
http://www.opensourcecms.com
testing those out seems like a lot of work.

i think we should just pick a random one and deal with it.