PDA

View Full Version : college.... bah

teensupernothing
10-18-2005, 01:14 PM
acceptances: penn state, ohio state, NYU, hartford, monmouth, rutgers.

i was wondering if any of you had input on any of the above. i just have no idea where to go, and some info that's NOT directly from the college would be helpful

and i'm sorry, just kinda overwhelmed. don't kick my ass for showing my face more than twice in a month, and asking for advice/help for the first time in a long time.

raublekick
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Any of those are better than anywhere I could get accepted at. I applied to and got accepted to one college and one college only.

testtubebaby
10-18-2005, 02:06 PM
i'll be the first to say this, and i believe that anyone who has gone to college and/or looked into college will agree with me:

most of the time, when you're applying to get into a college, this is the time that you ask for such advice, not after you've been accepted. now you're out the acceptance fee, which in my opinion is kind of dumb, and it seems to me that you still have no idea where you want to go to college.

most people pick colleges based on what they want to get out of the college... like, oh, i don't know, a specific line of study. this is something you're not going to get much information on here, since i doubt any of us are up on the things you're looking to get out of a college (fencing and... sympathy? honestly, no one here really knows what it is you do other than that... correct me if this is not the case).

basically what i'm saying is:

1. you're past the point of needing to know about these schools.
2. you should have had them ranked in some sort of order of importance (relative to your situation) beforehand so this would be a non-issue.
3. seems to me that you don't know why you're going to college in the first place, and maybe you should sit down and think about why it is this is important to you. then, you can use that list to cross reference with research on these schools that you yourself will have to do, because i don't think anyone on here is going to do your research for you.

thecreeper
10-18-2005, 02:08 PM
penn state is a fun area (though a bit dirty), its got everything you could possibly want there, and from what i have heard, the education is worth it as well. i can't tell you much about the others, but from the looks of it, its not like you have really terrible schools to pick from.

Mr Biglesworth
10-18-2005, 02:38 PM
NYU is a relatively highly rated University.
That's all I can really tell you.

What are you interested in taking?
And don't listen to Colin. I applied for and even chose my university without specifically knowing the strengths of the different faculties. Instead I made my choice on the general prestige and performance of the school. This turned out to be just as well, as I didn't end up staying in the faculties I applied for, but became interested in some other areas the school offered programs in. Now that I know exactly what it is I want to do, I know that another university would have been a better choice (one I didn't even apply to), but that's knowledge I only have a year and a half later.
So yes, if you're focused on exactly what you want to be doing, then it's best to do research beforehand based on that knowledge, but if you're not so sure, choose a good all-round college and see where life takes you.
Good luck!

johnny
10-18-2005, 03:23 PM
well, the bengals are doing surprisingly well this year, so ohio state might be the right choice; but at the same, ohio is also home to the cleveland browns, and they're a terrible team. so what you need to ask yourself, is: do you think the bengals can keep winning? i mean, they're the cincinnati bengals--if any team could blow a 5-1 start, it's probably them because they've been so bad in recent years.

i'd probably pick nyu because, hey, it's new york, or penn state, if! the campus is in or close to philadelphia because i would really hope that there would be another dead milkmen reunion show one o' these days.

testtubebaby
10-18-2005, 03:43 PM
i love you, johnny

raublekick
10-18-2005, 09:11 PM
johnny, penn state is pretty far from philly (3+ hours?)

also, how does Drew Carey weigh into the Ohio factor?

teensupernothing
10-18-2005, 09:21 PM
okay, ttb... i wasn't expecting to get in every college i applied to. i like all of them a whole lot. that's why i'm trying to get in some pros/cons. i'm planning on going for graphic design/visual communication.

i'm just asking opinions, not for you to do the research for me.

it's looking like penn state or nyu... just cause. i dunno. i'll probably end out at penn state because of the fencing team

johnny
10-18-2005, 10:04 PM
also, how does Drew Carey weigh into the Ohio factor?he doesn't have a tv show anymore, so he's kinda off the radar. but i think he has a bit of a positive impact.

thecreeper
10-18-2005, 10:47 PM
he doesn't have a tv show anymore, so he's kinda off the radar. but i think he has a bit of a positive impact.
oh, but he's rumbling back soon. DREW CAREY'S GREEN SCREEN!

Liss
10-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Surely you have it in mind where you want to go. Follow your first instinct; if you listen to anyone else you'll regret it later.

It's funny that you have all those acceptances...I've only received one letter thus far for winter/spring semester.

Artmead
10-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure if you've visited them all, but a lot of it comes down to a lot more than the actual school.

I remember visiting Penn State (I'm assuming you got into main campus) and I really didn't like it. If you want a true "college town" you will find it there, but I was looking for something a little more city based (hence, my going to Pitt). If you're really active in going to concerts, seeing umm... (what the heck do you hipsters do these days? theater? shop? etc?) or some other urban activities, Penn State probably won't be a good fit.

On the other hand, if you're looking to really just go and have fun without having to worry about safety issues (i know a lot of people are intimidated by cities), want a small college town (with a huge freaking campus), etc, than PS would probably be for you.

Hell, I just had 2 choices (pitt and Penn State), and I based my decision after 15 minutes of Penn State (i just didn't like it). Just go with the gut!

teensupernothing
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
liss, i have them applying early decision (or early action, or whatever the non-binding one is..) or with a 100% guarantee of acceptance from a coach.

i dunno, i applied to all of them because i liked them. PSU and NYU are completely different, but i love them both. so that's pretty much what it's down to.

i hate this.

Mr Biglesworth
10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Go to NYU so i can visit you there and we can party it up in New York.

johnny
10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
neil if you love nyu so much why don't you marry it!?

Marshall
10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I was accepted at georgia tech, UGA, Clemson, Alabama and University of West Ga.

I chose West Ga becuase I had no clue what I was going to be doing and I didnt have to move.

Now I get my choice of the above because I have decent grades and I can transfer into any major that they offer.

Pick what school you think you will like until you figure out what major you want to be in and dont fuck up your grades so you wont have to worry about transfering.

Mike
10-24-2005, 12:51 AM
Hartford as in ... the University of Hartford?
Don't go there. The school sucks. Like really sucks. I took a tour there back in the day, when I was looking at schools. It sucks. My roomate is from West Hartford and he also attests, it sucks.

acceptances: penn state, ohio state, NYU, hartford, monmouth, rutgers.

The other five are all great schools. Whenever I look at schools I automatically judge them by how liberal they are, so rather than tell you that one is better than the other (which would utterly be tainted by my political obsessionism) ... NYU is the most liberal of the bunch, followed by a tie for second place between Rutgers and Monmouth (though I'm not entirely sure about Monmouth), then Ohio State, and then Penn State. Penn State is one of the best state schools in the country for academics, if not the best. It's a beautiful campus, same with Rutgers... never been to / seen Monmouth or Ohio State.

Though, UofHartford SUCKS. It is ugly, designed by the idiot that designed UMASS Dartmouth (not the more known Umass, this is a shittier one on the South shore of Massachusetts) ... so its very depressing. There's not much around as it is still a distance from HArtford ... and even though it is relatively close to Hartford, Hartford is without a doubt the smallest and most useless capital city in the United States, because Montepillier (sp). The city sucks, the roads suck, the college sucks ... everything about it sucks.

Don't go there.

teensupernothing
10-24-2005, 12:56 PM
thanks for your vehement opposition of hartford. i only liked it cause they have a really solid art program.

it's lookin like PSU or NYU....

but leaning towards NYU, if anybody cares

thecreeper
10-24-2005, 02:48 PM
but leaning towards NYU, if anybody cares
on the plus side, you can always beat one of those olsen twin bitches there (if they don't drop out/transfer before then)

teensupernothing
10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
haha, i think my epee weighs more than they do...

johnny
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
always with the fencing..

teensupernothing
10-25-2005, 12:43 PM
damn straight. if i'm gonna beat someone up, i'm gonna do it fencer-style

johnny
10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
the bengals got beat by the steelers this weekend

Cid
10-28-2005, 01:51 PM
THE Ohio State University.