PDA

View Full Version : Opera: Back to being free...and ad-free.

GT2000
09-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I guess they realized people would pay for garbage when garbage is generally something found free elsewhere. Not particularly calling Opera garbage, although I haven't used it in years and recall it not being all that good when I did try it, but, they probably didn't see a lot of legit users when cracks were readily available to remove the ads from the free version without having to pay for the license.

http://news.com.com/Opera+nixes+banner+ads+in+free+version/2100-1032_3-5874093.html?part=rss&tag=5874093&subj=news

raublekick
09-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I saw this earlier. Hmm... I might download it but probably not. I was hesitant to get Firefox at first, but it proved to be a much better experience. What can Opera offer me that Firefox can't?

thecreeper
09-20-2005, 11:48 AM
i really hate opera after using it this summer. and i dont really need another browser. it's good that they are offering it for free though. more options are always good.

johnny
09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
i may end up installing opera if i want to be sure that any sites that i put together will display properly in most browsers (even though there is no reason why all the browsers shouldn't already treat html and css the same way..)

but i always thought opera was a shitty shitty browser, so i would never use it regularely

Metallistar
09-20-2005, 05:43 PM
I used to use a hacked version of opera back in the day because it had a great pop up blocker.

Mike
09-25-2005, 12:29 AM
I used to love Opera which was the only browser that offered anything. Opera5 was one of my favorite browsers, their mouse-tracking was innovative and awesome ... and I couldn't imagine living without it, and it was the only browser that had a popup blocker.

Though now every browser has those features, and you can get a plugin for IE and FF to run the mouse tracking ... Opera is still the fastest browser available.. especially compared to Firefox, which is one of the slowest.