PDA

View Full Version : earlier my computer was bein' a little weird

johnny
07-22-2005, 01:15 AM
it had been off for a while, and when i turned it on it just hung up at the blue hp logo screen. usually that logo screen comes up first thing, stays there for a second or two, and then the operating system starts firing itself up, but this time it seemed to stick at the hp logo bullshit, so i just turned off the computer and thought "hmm?". then i went out for several hours and just now i came home, turned on the computer, and it appears to be working just fine. so do you think that that was just some kind of weird.. thing..? or should i be worried that something (like my harddrive or processor or motherboard??) is about to bite the dust?

i'll report back if i get this problem again tomorry.

GT2000
07-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't even sweat it if it's only the one time..of course if it becomes a habit then it's worth looking into. Mine likes to hang on the DFI logo when there is a cd or dvd in the drive without a boot sector, weird, but, shit happens.

Plain Old Jane
07-22-2005, 10:01 AM
mine used to do that when I had a Live! sound card and a WiFi card in at the same time, eventually I was forced to use external usb sound cards. I'd check your IRQs and see if theres any conflicts if you are really concerned.

johnny
07-22-2005, 10:33 AM
today when i turned on the 'puter it stayed at the logo screen longer than usual, but then everything loaded up fine. i'm just going to not worry about it, and let it take it's time booting up if it needs too. it is getting kind of old, after all. maybe it is devloping some sort of compu-alzheimers and it just can't remember what to do right away.. aheh.

Mine likes to hang on the DFI logo when there is a cd or dvd in the drive without a boot sector, weird, but, shit happens.that's probably what happened on my computer, because i just realized that there was an old backup cd of mine sitting the dvd drive.

it was just as i suspected all along.. the case.. is unsolvable!

raublekick
07-22-2005, 11:09 AM
mine hangs sometimes when it detects IDE devices during boot. it'll just say Detecting IDE drives... or whatever and just sit there. Turn it off and back on and it goes right through it like normal.

johnny
07-22-2005, 11:28 AM
now my dvd drive doesn't work! it doesn't read or detect any cds when i put them in it. i also have a cd-rw drive, so it's an easy work-around, since i never use dvds in my computer anyways, but still.. it's strange that my dvd-rom drive has (apparently) ceased functioning. and only since the few times that i turned on the computer with that stupid burned cd sitting in the drive. is it just coincidence that it's fucked up now?? because it worked just fine yesterday. i played some songs off that burned cd without any trouble..

argh

GT2000
07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Hmm...could just be a coincidence..after you took the cd out of that drive, did it still hang on boot like it was? If so, disconnect ide and power from the drive, and then boot again to see what it does.

*edit*
If the drive is going bad, that would be the cause of the hanging...on OEM computers, or any motherboard that has the option of a full screen logo, it just shows that during the POST, and if that drive is going, it's having a hard time detecting it, hence the hanging..blah blah.

johnny
07-22-2005, 02:24 PM
since i took the cd out, it has been booting up normally, without hanging at the hp screen for an extra few seconds. in a bit i'll turn it off and try disconnecting (and reconnecting??) the ide and power cables from the drive, like you said, and see what happens after that.

GT2000
07-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh...hmm, yeah...try this instead.

Find the drive in your device manager, right click, uninstall, I'm sure you know that deal, then instead of restarting, shut down. Disconnect the drive completely, boot all the way into windows. Shut down again, reconnect the drive, and let windows re-detect the drive and install the drivers.

johnny
07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
k, i'll cross my fingers and try that out tomorrow.