PDA

View Full Version : [PA] ground prone to sudden collapse

sharkz
05-27-2005, 11:34 PM
so i finally got to visit centralia today. i had wanted to for a while. i was satisfied. i wanna go back too.

for those of you who don't live anywhere near PA...
The ruins of Centralia Pennsylvania no longer exists on some maps. The story began sometime in 1961 along the outskirts of town when trash was burned in an old open pit mine. The fire in the open pit caught an exposed vein of coal on fire. The coal then began to burn underground. That was in 1961. Over 40 years and 40 million dollars later the fire still burns through old coal mines and veins following the coal under the town and the surrounding hillsides. The fire, smoke, fumes and toxic gases that came up though the back yards, basements and streets of Centralia practically ripped the town apart. Attempts to put the fires out were unsuccessful.

(so basically the feds pushed out everyone except the few diehards who refused to leave)

i went with school believe it or not. we were coming home from knoebels and since we were passing centralia anyway we stopped.

i was a little sad that my friends broke some beer bottles that were lying around on the abandoned part of 61. as if people hadn't trashed it enough already.

all the junk lying in the cracks in the road was bizarre. couple broken TVs, alarm clocks...

Mr Biglesworth
05-28-2005, 12:33 AM
fuck, that's crazy. I don't know what to say... does it smell bad? Did you meet any of the people that live there?

raublekick
05-28-2005, 01:06 AM
i've never been there, but my mom knows some people who live near there. it sounds pretty cool, but it's just a ghost town.

thecreeper
05-28-2005, 01:33 AM
TTT/G-E field trip, dude.

heX
05-28-2005, 08:04 AM
http://www.negative-g.com/Knoebels/PPP2003/Friday/PPP-2003-Centralia-road-1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~johngriggs/images/Centralia/C2-3.jpg

sharkz
05-28-2005, 09:17 AM
fuck, that's crazy. I don't know what to say... does it smell bad? Did you meet any of the people that live there?

it didn't really smell bad, and no, didn't meet any of the residents. although i think it'd be really cool to interview them.

TTT/G-E field trip, dude.

for real.

also's, hex's link to the guy's site with knoebels/centralia pics reminds me that i actually did suceed in sneaking my video camera on a roller coaster.

Mike
05-28-2005, 11:45 PM
There was a show on the history channel about this place... sounds pretty crazy. Smoldering rock in the middle of what once were somewhat busy streets.