PDA

View Full Version : poped

johnny
04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
it seems that this Ratzinger fellow who i don't really know anything about is the new pope. stories: http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/04/19/popevote050419.html.

thoughts?

GT2000
04-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I could picture him as a German...just move his arm more straight forward...and yes...

I dunno if it was a wise move, I mean, he's already 78...john paul was 85 at death, but maybe this guy seems in better health, didn't catch any of it on tv, so I couldn't see if he was drooling or twitching like the previous pope did.

The Papal smear...wiping his chin.

raublekick
04-20-2005, 12:31 AM
He was also a Hitler Youth apparently. sig heil

Plain Old Jane
04-20-2005, 07:19 AM
VICTORY NOW!

johnny
04-20-2005, 08:31 AM
He was also a Hitler Youth apparently. sig heil
i heard that on the news, though they were careful to say that he was forced into that. eventually it was more or less compulsory to join Hitler Youth, so it's very possible that he had to be forced into joining. who knows. ::shrug::

raublekick
04-20-2005, 09:22 AM
yeah that's what i figured, but it still doesn't make it justified. not that i really care that much anyways

Mike
04-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I like that he doesn't want to turn Catholicism into a bunch of bleeding heart progressives.

thecreeper
04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
he better make something bleed, i'm getting bored here.

Cid
04-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I like how Mike went to college and now he thinks he understands everything and has some holy insight into the world. So now all he talks about are his views on the world, views I'm sure were forged by personal experience.

Love ya buddy!

/This is going to be one of those 4 page pissing contests now. What would TTT be without 'em?

johnny
04-21-2005, 09:29 AM
What would TTT be without 'em?it might be interesting again. :P

malta
04-21-2005, 01:57 PM
"it might be interesting again. :P"

Hell yea. Fight fight! p.s. stormy a ho

I thought it funny they got someone so old they'll have to replace him within 10 years probably, but then my friend told me the pope before John Paul II was only for 30 days.

johnny
04-21-2005, 02:23 PM
hey, i'm just jokin' around with cid. but we should all know by now that those stupid-long arguments never actually go anywhere. (but i guess i'll read it anyways, if some sort of argument begins to develop. heh)

(edited a bit because i never get wording right the first time)

GT2000
04-21-2005, 02:27 PM
"it might be interesting again. :P"

Hell yea. Fight fight! p.s. stormy a ho

I thought it funny they got someone so old they'll have to replace him within 10 years probably, but then my friend told me the pope before John Paul II was only for 30 days.
30 days eh...that's pretty funny, wonder what the hell they were thinking on that guy...

"If you ignore the alzheimers, the fact he hasn't eaten in 10 days, and the incredible loss of weight, it looks like he's doing pretty good!"

Mike
04-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I like how Mike went to college and now he thinks he understands everything and has some holy insight into the world. So now all he talks about are his views on the world, views I'm sure were forged by personal experience.

Love ya buddy!

/This is going to be one of those 4 page pissing contests now. What would TTT be without 'em?

"I like that he doesn't want to turn the Church into bleeding heart progressives."

Remind me again how that has anything to do with holy insight into the world, talking about my views of the world (my comment certainly didn't seem very worldly), and how that view has anything to do with personal experience?

Additionally, I'm just wondering, but what other kind of experience do you have--other than a distant personal experience--with me that allows you to make such profound personality assessments?

Much like how you like that I've gone to college and now think of things differently than I did when I was 15, I like how you haven't done anything to change the way you look at things, and criticize yourself in your criticisms of others.

Gj Cid. Maybe sometime you'll get over yourself... maybe.

Mr Biglesworth
04-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Mike, you've said you're non-denominationally (all the better) theistic, you seem fascinated by theology (and from what i can tell, interested in metaphysics, though i don't know what your slant is). I can understand that, we share those points in common. I understand your conservatism, even if I don't share it, I respect it want to learn from it. You are historically well versed, I definitely respect that.
SO
While all those above things may not really tell me anything, there's something i don't understand you may be able to help me understand.

HOWEVER i have to study stats and go to sleep so i'll return to my poperific question during the godly hours of the day.

Cheers blokes, return to fighting amongst yourselves.

Mike
04-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Let us make children and repopulate the Earth, neil.

-- edit --
And to further your analysis:
I'm a non-Denominational Christian/Theist -- So While I'm Christian, I'm just not Catholic/Protestant/or a member of the "non-denominational Church" which I think is ... bs. I love Theology and Philosophy... and I like, but don't always agree, with Aristotle's model of the Metaphysics. It seems to make prudent sense, except when it comes God and Men and their relation (Sort of with the idea that God can't think of anything lesser than himself, because then he becomes lesser then, and men, when thinking of God, become closer to God ... Seems sort of strange, like I could think of a Bicycle and then somehow have my species-form mold around a bicycle. I dunno, it makes relative sense, especially in regard to the Wise Man analysis and Metaphysics/Philosophy having the most noble ends and thus the most noble study... but I get hung up on some stuff). I also defend Catholicism a lot, even though I'm not Catholic, I dislike Secular fundamentalism (secularism as a religion) and ignorant atheism (not to say that all atheism, obviously, is ignorant... just the ignorant kind) ... and being that I live in Massachusetts, which is predominantly Catholic and almost paradoxical Liberal, most take aim at Catholicism... it's also been an easy target for the last four years.

Anyway ... we'll continue this over a steaming cup of human blood.

raublekick
04-22-2005, 02:15 PM
wanna make it a threesome?

Plain Old Jane
04-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Let us make children and repopulate the Earth, neil.

-- edit --
And to further your analysis:
I'm a non-Denominational Christian/Theist -- So While I'm Christian, I'm just not Catholic/Protestant/or a member of the "non-denominational Church" which I think is ... bs. I love Theology and Philosophy... and I like, but don't always agree, with Aristotle's model of the Metaphysics. It seems to make prudent sense, except when it comes God and Men and their relation (Sort of with the idea that God can't think of anything lesser than himself, because then he becomes lesser then, and men, when thinking of God, become closer to God ... Seems sort of strange, like I could think of a Bicycle and then somehow have my species-form mold around a bicycle. I dunno, it makes relative sense, especially in regard to the Wise Man analysis and Metaphysics/Philosophy having the most noble ends and thus the most noble study... but I get hung up on some stuff). I also defend Catholicism a lot, even though I'm not Catholic, I dislike Secular fundamentalism (secularism as a religion) and ignorant atheism (not to say that all atheism, obviously, is ignorant... just the ignorant kind) ... and being that I live in Massachusetts, which is predominantly Catholic and almost paradoxical Liberal, most take aim at Catholicism... it's also been an easy target for the last four years.

Anyway ... we'll continue this over a steaming cup of human blood.

okay, heres a tip for you christians, get an original idea: your religion is based on hundreds of other religions that plagued the babylonian area for centuries, in fact, 1000 years before christ, the prophet zarathustra (popularized by neitzche, as much as frederick can popularize something.) listened to god (the one and only) and write his shiz down which laid the precepts for a religion known as Zoroastrianism. its a religion typical of the time, its precepts, as with most religions of the time, start with the story of the savior, some hero worship, often presenting first with the birth of the sun of our lord, god, but his name aint jesus christ, its actually not mentioned, but gods name is honda mazda or some shit, so his/her son prolly has an equally retarded name. (ahura mazda actually, but I'm poking fun and I'm a lil buzzed from the activities in celebration of 2 days ago.)

He is born when evil consumes the earth, apparantly when this happens, the turks, the iranians, and greece are big players, and no nation is the good guys, they're all dicks, even a mysterious army of unknown nationality comes from the east dressed in red.

then this son of god is miraculously born to who?!!?!?!?!?!?111111 who else, but a virgin! GASP!

anyway, Lexus (my pet name for son of the lord mitsubishi mazda) leads an army of archangels against all the nations and defeats evil, and gives a speech to his troops on some mountain that prolly doesnt exist that scares the devil (GASP! A FALLEN ANGEL! WHO WOULDA THOUGHT!!!!!) back into hell (what an original idea, a dark evil burning place where sinners go) the end right?

no, this shit goes on and on, thousands of years pass and the world gets too big a penis again, and everybodys an asshole, GODS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER! MASS HYSTERIA OF DOOOOOOOOM!

out on the horizon, whats that! its a lady taking a bath in india, a virgin, who miraculously gets pregnant!!!!!!!!! GASP! AGAIN!?

Aushedar is this fellow of godhoods name. at age thirty, he recieves the word of god directly from Kia Mazda HIM-FUCKING-SELF! then he commands the sun to a halt. what a guy! and it sits there in the middle of the sky for 10 days... lets not mention the other half of the world. they're fucked.

now, all the wolves in the world travel to iran and form together into SUPER MECHA WOLF SSJ POWER LEVEL 87662!!!11 but aushedar makes and army and kills the wolf, and thats the end of aushedars tale. yay.

thousands of years later, evil is f***ing tired, but still kicking, although they're pretty much post mortis spasms... of doom... armies roll in from the east and conquer iran again, oh no. instead of doing his own work, Ford Mazda rapes another virgin without touching her and she gives birth to perhaps the final saviour... he is the direct decendant of zarathustra himself! gasp! (honestly I think Zara-boy just wrote this in to get himself some tail.)

while Chevy Mazda's new son is young, all dead people who ever lived come back to life... not just for fun tho, you'll see... A celestial body plummets to earth, melting parts of the outer crust and before you can blink, you're in lava baby. (A great flood? stolen from the god kings of babylon themselves!)

but people dont die, they just kinda burn and suffer until all their sin is melted away (sin cleansing, an original idea.) then everybody lives forever and ever without war, loving the holy hell out of Mercedes-Benz Mazda.

But lets not forget about christianities own horrifying version of the final days:

first, this lamb with seven eyes and horns opens the sealed book of life. (wtf, I dont remember hearing that in church) and that does pretty much nothing, but before you know it, these four assholes on horses come barging through the countryside blowing horns and being generally annoying, they do however leave behind a trail of destruction, horseman one leaves behind famine, the red horseman leaves war (a red dress warrior spreading war! sounds like something out of zorothastiey- Mercury Mazda's religion.) the pale horse is death herself (Stormy), and she spreads disease... the whore... and the last horseman... well, he doesnt... really do... anything... he just kind of annoys people by talking about Friends. anyway...

then some really bad stuff happens, 4 angels stop the wind and a fifth marks 140~ thousand jews with "The seal of gawd!" then its quiet some more, and then big storms hit, then a comet hits the earth, turning 1/3 of all water into blood, kill 1/3 of all ocean organisms, and sinks the same fraction of all ships.

then this eagle comes and screams that mo' shit is going down, and then shit goes down. then an angel comes and unlocks hell, whose opening we kinda missed in all our sinning. then locusts come out and sting people like mad, but leave those jews alone (this IS the christian ending, as seen by John in his vision. aka, opium trip), john says here that now people "shall desire to die" but wont be able to at this point cuz heaven is closed, and hell is already on earth.

then this big burly king of all demons shows up, no his name isnt lucifer or beelzebub, its Exterminans. cute eh? he wages war from the sea for some retarded christian reason and causes some ruccus with the locust who are now horses.

then up in the sky appears the virgin mary, "clothed in the sun." then get this, a red dragon comes and flings stars at the earth (but the stars should already have been gone, since god closed heaven.) then gods like, NO YOU DI'INT! and boots all dragons from heaven
they fall to earth and are generally pissed, so they declare war on the virgin mary (um... why?) so now you are generally stuck between a god that doesnt want you, a king of all demons who can hurt you but cant kill you, and crowd of fu*king dragons.

go bible!

then this beast comes from the sea with 7 horns and 10 heads, that cant be killed, kuz his heads grow back (and the horns are actually rulers with no kingoms, I really dont care to explain that one.)

people decide to follow this beast because hes actually kinda cool and is actually the only one who wont kill them wantonly.

then exterminans is like, fu*k it and retires to hell with his boyfriend. A new beast comes from the depths, and people say, F*ck the 10 headed guy, lets follow this guy cuz he can rain sulpher... yay...

then those jews from before tell everybody to stfu and stop camping near the spawn... of satan.. (tho john doesnt refer to him as the actually anti-christ, he insinuates, nooberz)

Then these three guys, the antichrist, the dragons, and the 10 headed guy decide to off gawd. they send... I kid you not, ghostly frogs to tell the worlds leaders to flip out and have a final battle.

but god is one step ahead, he gathers his troops at Armageddon (translated: Hill Of Robbers)

then theres more storms and earthquakes and then more storms and then THE BIGGEST earthquake ever, worse than any other apocalyptic earthquake.

then an angel comes down and says "babylon is f*cked" and all the merchants of the world lement the passing of this ALL important city. another angel leads gods army and kills those 3 beasts and their kind and feeds their entrails to carrion eaters. (a religion of love!)

then 1000 years later evil is at it again (sound familiar?) they try to start a war, but fail before they begin, satan is thrown into A RIVER OF LAVA (SOUND FAMILIAR?!) and so are all other sinners who arent in the book of life.

its full of holes, god sweeps away the stars, then a dragon throws them at the earth, a team of locusts kills everybody, but next war they seem just fine.

its BS, and lastly:

Aristotle is gay!

raublekick
04-23-2005, 12:37 AM
i need to read Thus Spoke Zarathustra in its entirety. I think the book I have just has select passages.

As far as metaphysics go, I'm not too into the idea. I'm born, I die, and that's where I get off the train of existance. Although Nietzsche's ideas of Eternal Recurrance are awesome, even though it doesn't really make too much sense. I r teh 0verm4n.

Mike
04-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Jep, fun post. But, the book of Revelation is almost all metaphor, and much of it is not for the end of times, but the beginning. Scholars, even secular scholars, spend their entire lives studying the book of Revelation ... I think that it deserves a little more looking into than what you read on the internet and post about in an iPB thread... and then you can write it off as such.

Aristole was less gay than the others around then.

Plain Old Jane
04-23-2005, 10:53 AM
yea... I was less then awake when I wrote... ALL that....

whatever, neitzches book... not as exciting as I thought... but on aristotles benefit, I enjoyed his "Nicomachean Ethics"... although it was a littl longwinded.

btw, did anyone notice I said that stormy heralded the end of the world?

malta
04-23-2005, 12:57 PM
*pops*

*locks*

Mike
04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
yea... I was less then awake when I wrote... ALL that....

whatever, neitzches book... not as exciting as I thought... but on aristotles benefit, I enjoyed his "Nicomachean Ethics"... although it was a littl longwinded.

btw, did anyone notice I said that stormy heralded the end of the world?

Yeah, I never cared for Aristotle's Ethics, but the Metaphysics is great... I'd suggest picking up Jonathan Lear's "Aristotle: THe Desire to Understand", it's a companion to the Metaphysics that is written so that it isn't necessary to have the books and it explains everything very well.

Neitzche has written a lot of books ... the most famous being the Parable of the Madman/Gay Science (the God is Dead stuff)... I'm reading the Birth and Tragedy now, and while it's kind of boring at times (talks a lot about ... art), the central message is good. I think people go into reading Nietzche expecting this guy who's going to rip apart people who believe in God and bolster Atheism--because that's how people always seem to refer to him as--and then the modern Atheists/Secularists and neo-paganist/cult types are the ones who get the most brutal assault. Yay!

raublekick
04-23-2005, 01:30 PM
yeah that's what I love about Nietzche. a lot of people think Nietzsche is on their side, but he isn't on anyones side. he just lays out some guidlines to becoming a better person. i wouldn't say he attacks atheists more, though. Will to Power (the concept moreso than the book) is pretty heavily anti-Christian.

Mike
04-23-2005, 02:35 PM
yeah that's what I love about Nietzche. a lot of people think Nietzsche is on their side, but he isn't on anyones side. he just lays out some guidlines to becoming a better person. i wouldn't say he attacks atheists more, though. Will to Power (the concept moreso than the book) is pretty heavily anti-Christian.

Yeah, I agree. But the Last Man is the guy who claims to reject Christianity, God, and Organized religion (like so many do) and then lives his life in almost complete accordance to those guidelines and rules that they supposedly disdain. And in the Birth of Tragedy, the Doric force that holds back the Dionysiac, Apollinian morality, which is criticized for being naive (like claims that modern religious sexual morality is naive or close-minded), have more propensity for being respected than the claims that you must embrace the Dionysiac... which, you can't do because it would destroy you... Those claims make people look like a fraud.

I like Fred and my Sigmund.

Plain Old Jane
04-23-2005, 03:16 PM

I fucking LOVED the will to power...

it made me like... think of things I didnt think I could think before... until I thought them. We must all do shrooms together sometime, el oh el