PDA

View Full Version : Decide the Site Focus

Plain Old Jane
04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
heres the options I've come across so far, lets vote now then we can start building. just fyi, it may take some serious geeklog tweeking to get to a build that will be conducive to what we want, but since this will take months to build up a proper audience, it really wont be as gruelling a process as it will seem to be.

right, so here are the options, we may do one, we may do all of them, we may do none of them, but what we're looking for here is the FOCUS of the site.

malta
04-06-2005, 01:15 PM
I picked creeps music and gaming idea, though I could go with any one because I doubt I'd have time to contribute anyway. I dislike it though because its not very original. Theres a million game and music review sites.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is... I don't really know why I voted for anything, but I did. Ignore me.

Plain Old Jane
04-06-2005, 02:16 PM
so noted, malta

also, for some reason, the last option "Other, post it" didnt come up for something bleh bleddey blu. if you have another idea, post it, otherwise, just vote.

thecreeper
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
i dont even like my idea, so fuck it.

i like the idea of having a random spotlight on a band or game or something, but i dont want that to be the focus on the site. a small part would be much better. i'm fine with related news to the categories donnie picked, and considering my site already does music and game reviews...i dont think you need another so closely associated. up to everyone else i suppose. but i won't be writing reviews for two sites.

GT2000
04-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, whenever someone does a review or something on your site, you could always submit it under affiliates, give a brief overview and link to it, I guess.

thecreeper
04-06-2005, 03:04 PM
that sounds like a deal. i'll see what i can do as far as getting some outside contributions to TTT.

Plain Old Jane
04-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Also, while I was in class I came up with a list of stuff to do for each idea presented. Some more complex than others, some easier, some cliche and overused.

Jep's Idea:

1. rethink site scheme, its kinda hard to navigate in the main page to find exactly what your looking for, but not overly so, it might stay for a while. A graphic based interface with java options may be easier for the demographic. maybe a setup ala college humor may be better.

2. (optional at first, but may be a nessesity as popularity grows.) Legal documents to sign for official records. Something along the lines of "the party of (lets say mettalica) metallica agrees to release limited lisence to Thetesttube.com for the intellectual property in CD "I like cock cuz we're metalica" to a limit of 10 songs on the site www.thetesttube.com at one time through fileswarming/bittorrent. The intellectual property can be taken down at the request of the band (a term that should be further defined cuz, what if the band breaks up?)" maybe a subsequent legal document for sharing 30 second samples

3. gather music and media for share-ination, as well as consent (a job for each of us at our locales)

4. gather affiliates and advertising

summation: complex to get it all set up, but a unique idea. may make a name for us, and a few bucks too. it may be a little bit of a pain to formulate the donation thing, who has control of it and what not. theres also the sad fact that our admins have jobs and may or may not be lazy asses. Still, lots of potential, as I have a lot of connection in the local music scene, I could potentially set up interviews with semi populars like the eyeliners, midtown, the conspiritors, maybe even MSI eventually, they do a bunch of shows up here. you canadians could get Billy talent and any band up there thats popular.

creepers idea

1. site design would be okay, but may require minor tweaking for ease of article placement. I still reccomend a more graphic based setup for this.

2, may require legal documentation from game and music companies as we are dealing with more then garage bands.

3. gather affiliates

summation: tried and true, but WAY overdone, i mean geocities are literally LITTERED with these. we're not providing a service, just our opinions, people can find those on the internet now, why should they come here? any ideas for a snagging point for the demographic?

GAME REVIEW - same as above
MUSIC REVIEW - same as above

The MIX -
involves all of the above, a drastic undertaking, but with so much content comes droves of screaming fans and potentially cash. so, I'm willing to spend my time on the site if those in charge will allow it. We could have a site like collegehumor.com eventually, which makes 400k a year. would that be worth your time now? I'll go for it.

thecreeper
04-06-2005, 03:12 PM
do you even fucking read what i write? jesus.

GT2000
04-06-2005, 03:50 PM
No comment.

Plain Old Jane
04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
i started writing my post, went to class, came back, finished and posted it. Sorry, you're right, your ideas do suck, lets ignore them from now on.

if you guys dont wanna do my indy music thing, thats fine, I'll prolly do it elsewhere.

thecreeper
04-06-2005, 05:51 PM
you're right, your ideas do suck, lets ignore them from now on.

i'm glad someone finally said it.

thebiggameover
04-06-2005, 07:25 PM
nascar! dont forget the nascar!

thecreeper
04-06-2005, 08:05 PM
shit donnie, you totally forgot the nascar section.

GT2000
04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
OH FUCK...damnit, hey, I should do more live coverage too!

http://www.random-obscenities.com/gallery/dover0604 ;)

Mr Biglesworth
04-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Why don't you just give everyone interested posting powers, take them away as you see fit, let us request new categories, create them as you see fit, and see what happens.
Seems the best way to get site content generated without having to come up with a creative site premise.

Plain Old Jane
04-07-2005, 11:52 AM
eww eww eww eww, donnie, we are SO breaking up...

GT2000
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Because, anyone can submit something...all they have to do is register, and as soon as I see it I skim it and approve it..

I don't see anything wrong with that really.

GT2000
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Sorry, I don't like guys.

thecreeper
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM

Sorry, I don't like guys.

that's the funniest thing i've heard all day.