PDA

View Full Version : american dad?

sharkz
02-06-2005, 11:37 PM
opinions? surprised i actually managed to stay awake. it's not over yet but so far it seems TOO family guy. some good jokes, but so far the griffins are just more memorable than this bunch.

sorry for such a snap judgement

raublekick
02-07-2005, 12:41 AM
i agree man... i didn't even think the jokes were too funny.

thecreeper
02-07-2005, 01:20 AM
it's not funny at all.

if this is what the new family guys are gonna be like, i'd rather they not bring it back at all. its just hard to believe that for a preview of a decently high profile show, i did not laugh at all at it. at least when family guy premiered after the super bowl in 99 ( i think...) i thought the show had potential. this one has cancellation written all over it.

Jesse
02-07-2005, 01:23 AM
I saw the pilot episode a long time ago. I found it somewhere on the internet, it was alright. Definitely nowhere near as good as Family Guy.

But, at least there's good news. New episodes of Family Guy airing soon, so that should be pretty sweet.

But as far as American Dad goes, I don't think it'll stick around since new episodes of Family Guy are coming out soon. Seth McFarlane probably started American Dad thinking that Family Guy would never see the light of network television again. But, now that there's some new Family Guy on the way, that'll probably take a lot of the focus off American Dad. So, no big deal if it does get cancled.

Stormy
02-07-2005, 06:29 AM
I caught the last two (literally) minutes of the Superbowl, et cetera, the Simpsons, and then this. Like a lot of you said, it definitely wasn't worth the hype. The jokes used in the commercials probably shouldn't have been, because they could have been funny otherwise. A big part of the problem is that the two shows are done in such a similar drawing style that, simply looking at the screen, one expects Family Guy. Changing that up slightly could possibly alter people's initial reaction to the show (i.e. there's a possible psychological problem with recognition/categories), but that would need to be done in addition to refreshening the script with less recycled humor. And while the show obviously uses FG's "crazy familly full of ironic people" gimmick, were it to veer slightly off the path of its infamously wonderful predecesor, and include humor more original to its own themes (while not sticking too close to MOCK AMERICA USA) it might have potential.

raublekick
02-07-2005, 09:39 AM
i just think it's funny that family guy is a total ripoff of the simpsons, and now seth mcfarlane has to rip off family guy.

Mr Biglesworth
02-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I find new simpson's are (for quite some time) employing very random humor, very family guy-ian. It doesnt work for them, sad to say.

thecreeper
02-08-2005, 12:23 AM
they dont have a decent focus anymore. a show can still be fresh after 15 years, but you have to know where to go with the show. in my opinion, it was a huge mistake to not let the kids age at all.

now the show has to remain juvenile in some aspects and recycle a lot of the same humor over and over. 'simpsons go to <insert random country> and do this <insert random country cliche>'

it's gotten tired and their insistence on poor dialogue and stupid humor has killed the original spirit of the show.