PDA

View Full Version : computer problem

Plain Old Jane
02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I have a problem here, fixxing a friends wifi, it works... to some extent...

there are two computers here, both compaq presario 2200's with built in wireless. one works now that i fiddled with firewall and wep settings, the other I did the same thing and it doesnt work.

Any thoughts on how to fix it?

raublekick
02-03-2005, 06:57 PM
what doesn't work about it? can it see the router or whatever at all? do the networking setings come up? is the signal strength just too low?

GT2000
02-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Yes, best thing to do in this case, is to uninstall the card, reset the router to defaults, and leave WEP disabled to start with. Then re-install the card, and then see if it's able to pick up on the router. I've had a ton of trouble calls like this, in many cases disabling WEP took care of it, so I'd then proceed to just setup mac filters for some basic protection, that way your average joe won't be able to jack into your network. Even with WEP enabled, someone who really wanted to could easily surf on your dime.

So give that a try, and let us know, also, try to be a little more specific, that always helps.

Plain Old Jane
02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
specifics:

cable modem is hooked up to the wireless router, 1 computer is directly hooked up to the router (the one whose wirless did not work.) but no setup software or control panel was readily available, but I could have 168.ip what ever'd into it if i needed to, no wep on, factory defaults on. Both computers are owned by teenage girls, so spy ware abound prolly. It'd take a whole afternoon to clear the crap off them.

I did not try reinstalling drivers, but I shall next time I'm over this weekend.

Jesse
06-20-2006, 08:53 PM
This thread got way out of hand.

Locked.