PDA

View Full Version : installing a OS

heX
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
when i try to install winxp or 2000 i get all the way through the installation till it asked me to select a drive to install on, at that point it says none are detected then i get a blue screen of death and have to restart. ive had this problem before but never really figured out what was up. the BIOS seems to see the drive but just not when i try to install. any ideas? ive used more than one hard drive although i guess its possible all of them are effed up.

raublekick
01-23-2007, 03:53 PM
in the BIOS where it shows you the drive, is it listed as primary or anything? also, what is the connection from the drive to the mobo? if it's IDE you should be fine but if you got a new computer with SATA, you will have some problems.

heX
01-23-2007, 06:31 PM
in the BIOS where it shows you the drive, is it listed as primary or anything? also, what is the connection from the drive to the mobo? if it's IDE you should be fine but if you got a new computer with SATA, you will have some problems.

its ide and ive ran it master and slave to primary and secondary. its the weirdest thing. at one point i got it to read one of the hds when i had it hooked into the slave connection on the ribbon and nothing on the master. a couple days later the installation got effed up and now im back where i was.

GT2000
01-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that could be ide controller, ide cable, or drive.. since you said you tried all of the configurations from primary master/slave and secondary.. have you tried different ribbon cables? How many drives do you currently have hooked up? I just disconnect every unnecessary piece of hardware for the windows install when something like that happens, and usually the problem points itself out..

heX
01-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, that could be ide controller, ide cable, or drive.. since you said you tried all of the configurations from primary master/slave and secondary.. have you tried different ribbon cables? How many drives do you currently have hooked up? I just disconnect every unnecessary piece of hardware for the windows install when something like that happens, and usually the problem points itself out..

ive tried different ribbons including one out of a working computer. ive also tried 2 different mother boards. ive also used this windows install on another computer. ive unhooked all hard ware other than the cd-rom with the windows disk and the various drives, and still same thing.

the only thing i can figgure is i have extremely bad luck and all four hard drives are busted including the new one.

GT2000
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I would say the odds of all drives being bad are pretty big, unless of course there's something else going on causing the drives to eat it. So you said you tried the hdd with the "bad" install in a different computer.. and the same results? Did you try installing windows on the drive from a different computer and then transplanting it back to the original system? The only really possible thing that comes to mind right now would be, memory, bad ram likes to corrupt data.

raublekick
01-23-2007, 07:58 PM
i hate to shill this out more than i already do, but you could take an ubuntu live CD/installer and go through up until the partition manager to see if it can detect the dics. if it does, and if you can partition them in some fashion, then it's just a fucked XP disc i guess. if not though, then you know it's a bigger problem.

GT2000
01-23-2007, 08:04 PM
The other thing I was going to ask was what kind of drives they are? Regardless, download the tool specific to that brand of drives and boot with a floppy. Same thing applies as what raub said.. low level format them bitches and stuff.

heX
01-23-2007, 11:18 PM
...all the drives were bad. got a new drive and alls well. im on it now.

GT2000
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
...every single one of them? Somehow I find it hard to believe, but hopefully the issue doesn't return.

heX
01-24-2007, 10:29 PM
...every single one of them? Somehow I find it hard to believe, but hopefully the issue doesn't return.

we literally tride the drives in three diffreent computers. 3 of the drives were pushing 7 years old and the new one was left in the trunk of raditz's car for a full michigan winter last year before i brought it in my house to sit around till i got this computer.

the dirves wouldnt read in any of the computers, its weird but true. after i put in the new drive there was zero hitches, the install process went right through like normal.

it has the same ribbons board ram.. everything is the same as it was when last testing the bad drives.