PDA

View Full Version : new linux thread

heX
01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
i know nothing of any linux, nothing. but i have an extra 120gb drive im gonna run slave to my windows machine and thought itd be fun to try linux out. i could really use help on choosing what to go with.

raublekick
01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
either opensuse or ubuntu.

opensuse is set up a bit more user-friendly, but ubuntu is a bit more reliable when it comes to updates and stuff like that.

heX
01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
either opensuse or ubuntu.

opensuse is set up a bit more user-friendly, but ubuntu is a bit more reliable when it comes to updates and stuff like that.

is the install for both fairly easy, and if you had to choose between the two wich one is over all better (in your opinion).

once i have linux installed what other utilites/apps am i gonna need. (ie browser or what ever). i dont knwo what comes bundled and what i have to get from somewhere else.

johnny
01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
of the choices raub gave you, i'd go with ubuntu.

the install is very easy; the install disc is a live cd, so you get to see and play around with the environment you're installing on your harddrive before you actually go ahead and install it. you're basically inside a working ubuntu environment, just like you'll install, while you're installing. i feel like i explained that really poorly :D (here is a screenshot tour of ubuntu (http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=751&slide=4))

as for applications.. it comes with firefox, a word processing suite called openoffice, an email/organizer app called evolution, and some media playing programs (however, out-of-the-box, there isn't support for non-free media types, but that can be fixed easily).

ubuntu has a graphical package manager called synaptic which makes it easy for you to install new programs, because you can just do a search for a certain type of program, and then click install. it will do the rest for you. here's a link to the ubuntu desktop guide https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html; it can walk you through all the basics.

raublekick
01-16-2007, 07:28 PM
ubuntu is 1 cd and sets up a nice GNOME desktop for you. you will have firefox, openoffice, the gimp, and a bunch of other software.

opensuse is 5 or 6 CDs or 1 DVD. you can pick between a KDE, GNOME, or XFCE desktop. it will give you pretty much everything you need as well. honestly, i haven't used it so i have no idea what it is like. it looks nice though.

either one should be incredibly simple to install, however if you plan on dual booting you will need to take a few precautions, and you MIGHT have to use the ubuntu alternate install CD because the desktop / live CD doesn't let you choose where to install GRUB.

actually, just go with Ubuntu. johnny and i have plenty of experience with it and can help you out.