PDA

View Full Version : 10 Minute Macbook Pro review

raublekick
01-01-2007, 10:34 PM
been messing with my friends new macbook pro here for a little, here's what a think...

the physical:
really nice casing, lightup keyboard sensitive to the light in the room, good speakers, and a camera. way awesome.

the software:
OSX is pretty, and it's really not too difficult to use. the file browser is very much like Nautilus, which is good. dashboard is pretty much the coolest thing i've seen on a computer, i have to look into a linux alternative. iTunes is not my favorite music player, and Mail seems like nothing special.

the media stuff is awesome though. using the remote lets you use set the laptop in a sort of jukebox mode where you can play all sorts of media from a distance.

the bad:
all of these criticisims are coming from the view point that using a laptop can be quite awkward. i feel that laptops should strive to eliminate much of that. well, first off the trackpad is pretty lacking. one button, damn apple, two buttons is fucking necessity when it comes to eliminating mouse movements. the trac pad also doesn't have vertical or horizontal finger dragging scrollers. jesus! how the hell am i supposed to quickly scroll down a webpage? oh i guess i will just use the page down key... wait... where is it!? NOOO! it doesn't exist! from what i can tell in this brief usage, the best and only way to scroll down a webpage is just to use the arrow keys... lame. next, the function keys take a back seat to the special secondary functions. it's nice to have the volume and brightness stuff up there, but i think that F5 should refresh my browser, not fn + F5.

these aren't little nit picky complaints. seriously, if i want to remove items from the little bar at the bottom, shouldn't i just be able to right click the item i want to delete and simply select delete? holding the mouse click down isn't too bad, but it just takes longer. the scrolling is a friggin' huge deal though.

well that is all!

if they fix these issues in the future, i would definitely consider buying one if i can easily get linux running on it. but then i wonder why i would pay for a fancy looking laptop.

raublekick
01-01-2007, 10:40 PM
i retract my comments about the scroll because i was told that you have to use two fingers to scroll. it works pretty good, but is totally non-obvious, thus i am leaving my original comments in there.

god i love these keyboard keys, but god damn, where is home, end, page up, page down, delete, etc... i NEED these keys...

johnny
01-02-2007, 06:00 AM
i've been considering going mac for a while, but.. odds are, i'll just scrap osx after a couple months and install linux. so why pay so much more for the hardware?

maybe if i win a lottery or something.

the Wozz
01-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Apple makes beautiful laptops. They're light-weight and just a joy to look at. The OSX interface isn't my favorite (over a decade of using windows only, basically makes you feel wierd using it). Too bad they're so expensive.

I have a Dell laptop. Inspiron 5150. Its not the lightest. And the power supply has a heavy-ass brick on it. Too bad my desktop is a shitty p2. Oh well.